bathroom towel rail said to be on the hot water circuit | Bathroom Advice | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss bathroom towel rail said to be on the hot water circuit in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

E

eddiebrown424

Hi All,

Attended a job today and was informed that the bathroom rail was on the hot water circuit. it is a large communal boiler in a block of flats with no valves or stopcocks in the flat. I tried draining but obviously couldnt without stopping the system filling. There is a pump in the kitchen and both bathroom but no other isolation and I cant even freeze the pipe.

Any ideas

eddie

But you only needed warm towels when you bathed. You're looking at things from a modern perspective. When this sort of thing was being done central heating was a rarity so a rad that got warm once a week so you had warm, dry towels when you got out of the bath was a real luxury. I would imagine that most of the ones that I came across had originally had a solid fuel back boiler heating a direct cylinder and when heating was put in the bathroom towel rail was left as it was.

I don't understand what you're disagreeing with though. I've seen, worked on and nearly flooded houses that have towel rails piped in this manner. It's never struck me as good practice or a good idea but if I've come across it there is a possibility that it has been done elsewhere. It may have been a practice that was strictly regional.

Hi Mike

Thanks for that.

I have isolated at the pump there is only lots of air coming out of the air vent. The rd was still draining through the valves after 40 mins although the pressure had dropped. I tried to explain that it could form part of another circuit and that it is impossible to isolate and that i didn't know how much water that this circuit held. Also explained that without stopping the circuit getting fed (if it wasn't the hot water circuit isolated at the pump) it may not be possible to isolate it. the boss got quite annoyed and said that he would sort it out by leaving the current valves (as stop ends which i thought was not good practice as the rad has 2 TRVs which i thought had frost controls. He may be able to put decorators caps on but again I thought that without further investigating this may impact on another part of the circuit. I bought a lockshield and a straight TRV as the new pipework will enter the rad from below (as opposed to through the wall) and l Obviously I couldn't see how he was going to attach 2 new valves without moving the rad which the customer says he cant do. Also I wasn't sure if 2 TRVs would impact on the rad working properly. Anyhooooo I think that it is time to look for a company that wants to do the work right and a more team focused boss.

Cheers again for all the advice.

Eddie

Ive seen this a few times on old blocks of flats in London that have a communal DHW system with a circulated secondary return. Normally they've tee'd one side of the towel rail into the dhw and the other side is tee'd into the secondary return giving you the circulation.

Never seen what Mike has drawn. Usual for the return on the rad to go back to the cylinder but the water never flows through the radiator to get to the taps.

Bear in mind that if you plumb a new towel rail into the hot water side it must comply with the following to meet regulations:

1, made of brass or copper
2, have thermostatic control

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Yours is an old fotic cylinder, Thermal store...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for the reply and information so far...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Pleased you are going for the eBay one, and...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Which tap did you buy? Some taps aren’t made...
Replies
Views
Back