Baxi boiler - flame goes out and re-ignitesl | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Baxi boiler - flame goes out and re-ignitesl in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

steve6023

I have a Baxi 105e combi boiler. It has recently started to shut the flame off when the hot water/heating is on, then about 10 sec's later it re-ignites. I have changed the water and heating thermostats, but still doing it. My next option wuld be to change the control board, but at £100 I was wondering if anyone had any better ideas before I spend £100 to find out it's not the control board. I have vacumed to jets also in case any blockage, still doing it. Only thing that aleviates it is turning the temp down on boiler for water

Are the spark electrodes gapped correctly, enough ignition gas pressure?

the spark ignition is working fine, wouldn't know about the gas pressure but nothing has been changed, and it seems to work fine until it gets to top temp then shuts off, only to come back on, hence why I rekoned the thermostats

I would check the continuity of the thermostats, when cool they have a reading across the terminals of no more than 1.5 Ohms.

You are Gas Safe Registered ?

A few possibilities could give the symptoms you describe. You say turning hot water stat down alleviates the issue. That could indicate overheating which in turn points toward a fault with the plate heatexchanger.... Can you verify that this fault does not occur when the heating is on. Makes a big difference when pin pointing potential faults... :)

Turning down the temp on hot water has nothing to do with the central heating when it's on ... two different and separate sensors .. which you've changed! (confusing)
Occurring on both leads to a common component ---- Fan, AP switch, Pump, pump flow switch, PCB, Gas valve, burner pressures, flame recognition ... Take your pick all have the potential to give you the symptoms you describe.
Are you gas certified? Reason i ask is coz there are some things you shouldn't go near if you aren't?
Is the boiler running for a while on heating B4 this happens or are things still cold when it goes on and off?

No not gas certified. Am happy to swap a component or two, but won't be messing with anything complicated, or involving gas. Engineer was called who stated it's either stat or PCB, just wanted to check if anything else other than merely changing PCB as expensive piece to install on a hope! What is la_co?

sorry forgot to mention it only goes out when running, it ignites fine, builds up the temp for a few minutes then pops out, re-igniting after bout 10 secs. I don't believe it's the AP switch as it appears to be working fine

as I mentioned I did call engineer out who was mereley going to change stats then PCB. From above suggestions would appear few more things to check before getting to PCB so will call different engineer out, hopefully one who knows about above. thanks for suggestions

*VBG* Very Big Grin ....

Steven 6023 ... BG charge varound £170 all in... no matter what the cost of the part ... take your chance...
|If it isn.t stat then it sounds more to do with circulation ... Rising to temp quickly then time delay, then back on! Still need more info... Do you get hot water ... do your rads heat up? ............

Last edited by a moderator:
i know what the fault is but am not going to tell a non gsr,op call someone in who knows your boiler,it is the best combi ever made so a experienced person will get it fixed asap

thanks diamondgas, i was going to go BG next....and Gasman thanks for your input!!!! The point of me being on here was to diagnose the problem so when someone came to fix it I could tell them what the problem was, or at least have an educated suggestion...rather than the engineer who I called who only wanted to change a lot of expensive parts without diagnosing what the prob was....or saying 'you need a new boiler mate'!! Am sure you would want the same if your car broke down!!!

if van brake dawn it will go back to VW dealer where i bought it from so far is been warranty but in September will expire so i have to put one extra year of warranty ,who to now your boiler better then the people who actually has build it ...i had a customer electrician
who called me and told me he needs a new PCB and I asked him how do you know and he told me he was competent person so not to ask question just to give him a price to change the PCB,I went round to fined 5 amp fuse in the spur and motorised valve not working ...

thanks diamondgas, i was going to go BG next....and Gasman thanks for your input!!!! The point of me being on here was to diagnose the problem so when someone came to fix it I could tell them what the problem was, or at least have an educated suggestion...rather than the engineer who I called who only wanted to change a lot of expensive parts without diagnosing what the prob was....or saying 'you need a new boiler mate'!! Am sure you would want the same if your car broke down!!!
you could always go direct to baxi they will fix it and have the parts in stock for it

safegasinstall - you seem to misunderstanding....first thing I did was call an engineer out....he charged me £55 to say he would change the stats then PCB...am canny enough to know this was not best way to go bout things....hence I came on here to see if someone actually knoew what prob might be....so when I get another engineer out am not forking out £50-£100 a part on a 'change this bit and see' exercise! I have no intention of trying to do anyone out of business...i just don't want to get ripped off!!! Just like you wouldn't with you VW van if they decided that to find they fault they would start changing all the parts until they found what the prob was...and you would be paying for the parts!!

pity gasman isn't little more benevolant....and told me what the prob was so I could just get someone to fix it!!!!

you have to appreciate i am gas safe registered,these boards are monitored by gas safe i cant or wont give out advice on safety critical parts try here Baxi UK they will give you a free quote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

new p.h. ex. that will be alot cheaper than a...
Replies
Views
Who said plastic 28/22mm copper tube and mlcp...
Replies
Views
Speak to Baxi regards the warranty, as they...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
..Thanks, i am wondering if we can keep the...
Replies
Views
You need a new service engineer not a new...
Replies
Views
Back