Baxi Combi's | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Baxi Combi's in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
So at what point while commissioning a Worcester say, do you decide your gas supplies inadequate? Do you accept a 2.5mbar drop or decide to enlarge feed?
Im not being pedantic, it's just a lot of my jobs are upgrades and boiler swaps.
You go in and you see a 22mm feed and you've not 100% sure of the route. And you think I'll pipe it up and see, it gas rates within mi specs. But your 2.5 mbar down. What then?

fit a test nipple under the boiler, cost about £4 in fittings and your can then prove the pipework is correct. If you are getting a 2.5mb drop through a WB id say for sure the pipework is undersized tbh.

Ok, so why do wb say there is a possibility of a loss through the gas valve and filter? And go on to say this is acceptable.
Excuse me if this is like pulling teeth, but why have the manufacturers brought out this new bulletin if its not valid?

I dont understand the importance of what the manufacturers inlet pressure difference is really in your pipe sizing? It has no bearing on your gas supply design. It does not matter if there is no drop inside the appliance or a 10mb drop inside the boiler, your gas supply design would not be effected only your ability to confirm its suitability without additional test points.

with the TB's what they have done is inform engineers that there is a likely drop on there boilers between 0 and 1.5mb depending on the model (some manufacturers say upto 2.5mb). They have done this just to avoid confusion on our part as to what readings we get from the appliance inlet test point. This means for us engineers you can not rely on this test point to prove that you have the correct gas supply and the manufacturers are giving us the information telling us we cant rely on there test point. One reason for the tech bulletins i would assume is the high number of boilers the manufacturers attend under warranty and Gas Safe have noticed with undersized gas supplies and the number of engineers that in recent years have used these lower figures from the manufacturers as a reason not to correctly design and install the supply.

Gas safe in the WB TB have also stated that the gas supply must be designed correctly and suggests this can be confirmed by the fitting of a test point before the gas isolation valve.

Its not the manufacturers responsibility to enable the installer to confirm the gas supply is correct, tho i think it should be and i think they should be made to include a test point at the iso valve (but thats another argument). So in essence you as the installer are responsible for the gas supply, not the manufacturer and you have to be sure the gas supply is correct. You cant just test at the gas valve inlet test point and assume any drop over 1mb is down to the applance workings.

In my experience a very high percentage of boiler changes requires a new or upgraded gas supply, and i tend to assume if i cant see the gas run and the boilers not near the meter that i will be upgrading the gas. If you replace a boiler and find after testing its undersized then you will of course need to upgrade the supply. in many cases im putting 28mm in as standard. The problem is trying to explian this to your customer before hand so you dont have the discussion 3/4 of the way into a job.

you cant control what other engineers quote for and do, you can only do your job correctly.

why manufacturers cant give specific drops for each model i dont know? maybe its because of design variations? maybe it differs dependant of filter conditions? it would be interesting to know.

I dont understand the importance of what the manufacturers inlet pressure difference is really in your pipe sizing? It has no bearing on your gas supply design. It does not matter if there is no drop inside the appliance or a 10mb drop inside the boiler, your gas supply design would not be effected only your ability to confirm its suitability without additional test points.

with the TB's what they have done is inform engineers that there is a likely drop on there boilers between 0 and 1.5mb depending on the model (some manufacturers say upto 2.5mb). They have done this just to avoid confusion on our part as to what readings we get from the appliance inlet test point. This means for us engineers you can not rely on this test point to prove that you have the correct gas supply and the manufacturers are giving us the information telling us we cant rely on there test point. One reason for the tech bulletins i would assume is the high number of boilers the manufacturers attend under warranty and Gas Safe have noticed with undersized gas supplies and the number of engineers that in recent years have used these lower figures from the manufacturers as a reason not to correctly design and install the supply.

Gas safe in the WB TB have also stated that the gas supply must be designed correctly and suggests this can be confirmed by the fitting of a test point before the gas isolation valve.

Its not the manufacturers responsibility to enable the installer to confirm the gas supply is correct, tho i think it should be and i think they should be made to include a test point at the iso valve (but thats another argument). So in essence you as the installer are responsible for the gas supply, not the manufacturer and you have to be sure the gas supply is correct. You cant just test at the gas valve inlet test point and assume any drop over 1mb is down to the applance workings.

In my experience a very high percentage of boiler changes requires a new or upgraded gas supply, and i tend to assume if i cant see the gas run and the boilers not near the meter that i will be upgrading the gas. If you replace a boiler and find after testing its undersized then you will of course need to upgrade the supply. in many cases im putting 28mm in as standard. The problem is trying to explian this to your customer before hand so you dont have the discussion 3/4 of the way into a job.

you cant control what other engineers quote for and do, you can only do your job correctly.

why manufacturers cant give specific drops for each model i dont know? maybe its because of design variations? maybe it differs dependant of filter conditions? it would be interesting to know.
have had to run 35mm in the past

image.jpgNow this says to me that there is a restriction in the gas valve that causes a 3 mbar drop. How does everyone read it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Evohome if you have the full system with TRVs...
Replies
Views
I was a Worcester lad now a baxi in my opinion...
Replies
Views
I know who you are, I was just interested in...
Replies
Views
Keep a diary recording the dates/times of when...
Replies
Views
You have a blockage from a dirty system needs...
Replies
Views
Back