baxi megaflo system boiler any good? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss baxi megaflo system boiler any good? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Buzzfan

Hi - does anyone have any experience of baxi megaflo system boilers? i am used to their cylinders, but not the megaflo branded system boiler - any feedback anyone?

mega flow clyinders are ok,but baxi boilers are,nt .use vaillaint

There's nothing wrong with The Baxi Mega Flow. Sure a decent Vaillant or Remeha will probably be be better though

Thanks for the replies.

After logging on to the Which consumers fourum, i found a survey of several thousand boilers - interesting to see which names they said avoid!

The Baxi potterton breakdown rate was about 5% higher than the vaillant or WBosch, but for a saving of £ 300 (£ 700 for boiler/flue vers £ 1000), I've decided to take the gamble!

After logging on to the Which consumers fourum, i found a survey of several thousand boilers - interesting to see which names they said avoid!
That will not be a statistically valid sample as only those people with a faulty boiler will bother to reply.

So you see the following results: Brand A 100 faults, Brand B 500 faults. Therefore Brand B must be the worse.

But Brand has only sold 1000 boilers and Brand B 50,000. So the failure rate fro Brand A is 10% and for Brand B 1%

not really - they list the percentage of each make separately so it is fairer - these were the results:

Alpha - 64 sampled, 45% breakdown or other problem
Baxi - 250, 45%
British Gas - 203, 45%
Ferroli - 34, 44%
Gloworm - 287, 42%
Halstead - 30, 53%
Ideal - 163, 46%
Keston - 34, 79%
Potterton - 188, 38%
Vaillant - 426, 29%
Vokera - 34, 32%
Worcester Bosch - 927, 32%

Oddly, Ariston werent listed - I've had 2, both failed. And 2 Pottertons, both fine!

The average failure rate is 37% - an astonishingly high figure. I've installed about 200 air-conditioning units, barely 5 have had failures.

not really - they list the percentage of each make separately so it is fairer - these were the results:

Alpha - 64 sampled, 45% breakdown or other problem
Baxi - 250, 45%
British Gas - 203, 45%
Ferroli - 34, 44%
Gloworm - 287, 42%
Halstead - 30, 53%
Ideal - 163, 46%
Keston - 34, 79%
Potterton - 188, 38%
Vaillant - 426, 29%
Vokera - 34, 32%
Worcester Bosch - 927, 32%

Oddly, Ariston werent listed - I've had 2, both failed. And 2 Pottertons, both fine!

The average failure rate is 37% - an astonishingly high figure. I've installed about 200 air-conditioning units, barely 5 have had failures.

Thats because when you fit an aircon unit its virtually out the box and plug in Built and tested before dispatch in a factory somewhere your not connecting to old pipework and controls
i wonder what the figures are for breakdowns being cause by poor instals rather than actual boiler faults
this would go some way towards ferollis poor figures as a lot of those are sold through the sheds

not really - they list the percentage of each make separately so it is fairer
How many Baxi, Potterton or Vaillant etc boilers do you think there are installed in the UK? To conclude from a sample of 250 that 45% of Baxi boilers will break down is ridiculous. The sample is too small to be statistically valid and the method of sampling (just Which? members who bother to take part in the survey) is suspect. If you want to know the true failure rate you need to ask the manufacturers, who will have the info for their own benefit.

iv fitted plenty of baxi/ pottertons (basically the same thing) and they havent been too much trouble. No more trouble than worcesters have been. And your right about the cost, and theres no way worcesters are worth £300 more.

Now im a loyal viessman fan.

I,m a veissem fan because of 5 yr grtee ,but worcesters are great boilers and theres not much in price between worcs and veissem

like most boilers they are great when they work and i've fitted a few megaflo boilers and they seem to have the same range of faults as most of the other HE boilers out there i.e fan failures, spark failures etc.
I have customers with gas boilers over 25 years old that I still service and change the odd small part on but i always wonder how many of these will still be around in 20, 30 years time !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I don't believe moving the manual lever over...
Replies
Views
Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
You will need a check valve to stop reverse...
2 3
Replies
Views
This question has been discussed a couple of...
Replies
Views
How did you get the valve sorted in the end?
Replies
Views
Back