Becoming a gas engineer- Is it worth it? hwo best to go about it? | Gas Engineers Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Becoming a gas engineer- Is it worth it? hwo best to go about it? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps you should try phoning a dozen or so of these jobs and ask them if you've done the training will they be willing to employ you? Just for your own piece of mind?

They are just after your money and try to reward you with a certificate rather than trying to learn you

with all due respect i dont agree with your comment, all course providers are not just after money, although i do my best to teach people rather than learn them haha

Aye, Don't fancy working for 6 quid an hour...
Spoke to this company and you do your CCN1, CEN1/WAT1 & CPA1
12 weeks in the class room, 14 weeks with a company. Would the 14 weeks placement count as experience? or is this part of your training?

the 14 weeks is portfolio building so it is experience building, you cant sit the ACS exams until you have an appropriate portfolio, i know 20 people at least, you have completed this type of course and who are working full time, 4-5 run their own company and have guys working for them as they are successful business men who brought a lot of skills INTO the gas industry, i have also met people who completed the course and are mince (just as i have met plumbers and sparks who are mince after 20 years in the trade)
to the OP do you "want" to be a gas engineer?
do you have any perception of what a gas engineer does?
do you know any gas engineers who can talk to you about the ins and outs of the trade
do you know anyone who has completed this course with this company who you can talk to
the guys who are qualified on here and talk of saturation levels have a poit, but there are some who dont like new entrants to their trade as they are "cutting their grass" as we say up here, but i have heard the most utter claptrap from people about all the newbies from guys who are 40 odd and have been doing gas for 10yrs (so they are now experienced and good) BUT they joined MY industry 10 yrs ago and are now cutting my grass, (oops wait a minute, im a time served plumber for over 30 yrs who has only been doing gas for about 18 yrs, so who's grass am i cutting, but thats different cause im good, and experienced and i'm ME, stable door/bolted/shut/horse springs to mind whe we talk about not allowig any more people into the trade, but its ok now cause im in, same as the home owners who fight tooth and nail for no more houses in "our area" what if the older owners had this opinion 20 yrs ago when they wanted to get a new house built

Don't waste your money: [DLMURL="http://www.ciphe.org.uk/News/Dont-be-caught-out-by-rogue-trainers/"]Don[/DLMURL]

not everyone who does these type of courses is wasting their money, there are plenty of busy guys out there and not everyone of them are 5yr gas apprentices

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had my time over again I would get myself one of those seats in the House of Commons - absolute best job on the planet!

Sensing a tone there smiley? I think kirk is saying the op want to be a gas engineer not a plumber. Big difference IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
the OP who started the thread was talking about doing a 6 month course to get gas qual not plumbing

"My Bad" musta been tired from running around chasing dead end quotes trying to beat I'll do it for nothing people
same thing applies though plumber gas

still more of em than punters mind
where I live there are 20 registered gas engineers within a quarter mile radius ( thats right twenty )
and fifty within five miles , doesnt sound much EH! did i mention its also a rural area im sure the inner city's must be crawling with plumber/gas fitters
thankfully I have a pretty good faithfull customer base other wise i would be looking a lorry driving instead lol

for the guy who started the post I feel for you it does seem like we are busy people but its very seasonal and I think you'll find we end up scratching around for work in the summer months as the heating systems are all switched off till the cold comes back . every trade job is strugling at the moment but i geuss sticking at what you know is best and wait it out till things pick up again wich they will eventualy do im sure ., but my worry is that if every body jumps on the plumbing gas fitter band wagon then when it does pick up we will all be fighting for the same work still .
this as Ive said before somewhere on this site is the problem with being under the compitence scheme it make it too easy to become a qualified person over night Bring back apprenterships I say .

its a job not a get rich quick scheme

"My Bad" musta been tired from running around chasing dead end quotes trying to beat I'll do it for nothing people
same thing applies though plumber gas

still more of em than punters mind
where I live there are 20 registered gas engineers within a quarter mile radius ( thats right twenty )
and fifty within five miles , doesnt sound much EH! did i mention its also a rural area im sure the inner city's must be crawling with plumber/gas fitters
thankfully I have a pretty good faithfull customer base other wise i would be looking a lorry driving instead lol

for the guy who started the post I feel for you it does seem like we are busy people but its very seasonal and I think you'll find we end up scratching around for work in the summer months as the heating systems are all switched off till the cold comes back . every trade job is strugling at the moment but i geuss sticking at what you know is best and wait it out till things pick up again wich they will eventualy do im sure ., but my worry is that if every body jumps on the plumbing gas fitter band wagon then when it does pick up we will all be fighting for the same work still .
this as Ive said before somewhere on this site is the problem with being under the compitence scheme it make it too easy to become a qualified person over night Bring back apprenterships I say .

its a job not a get rich quick scheme

i agree 100% that the fix for the industry is to get back to employing apprentices, so its over to you lot to start employing them, cause without companies taking them on then apprentices cannot get into the industry, there are reasonable funding routes available up here through SNIPEF to employ an apprentice, not sure about danh sarff but look into it and lets get the industry back on its feet, but the resolve needs to come from within (a simplistic comment i know, but if my solution is too simplistic then what is the answer?)

supremo, whats your thoughts on this ? we havent heard if you have decided to look further into the course, perhaps you should contact them and go and see for yourself what the set up is

things are quiet everywhere at the moment so its a good time to get training and qualifications ,when things pick up someone will give you a chance and if your any good they will keep you on and then you are sorted its a different world working in a customers house with no tutor to take over if you make a mistake so confidence and practical ability is what will set you out as a good plumber good luck

Jump into IT. You don't need yo be a rocket scientist and the money is obscene.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

my local v.well known telephone directory has 14 pages of plumbers think that says it all.Most trade lads i meet are wanting to leave the plumbing/gas trade

Been in the trade for over 20 years worked this Monday finished for the week not by choice , loads of mates in similar situations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone I currently work in oil and gas...
Replies
Views
One DM in five years? Congratulations on...
Replies
Views
Hello Alex, I am a self employed engineer and...
Replies
Views
Neil Ambrose
N
Hi, I'm looking for a gas engineer who I can...
Replies
Views
Hello and welcome
Replies
Views
Back