Best power tools? Not Bosch!!! | Plumbing Tools | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Best power tools? Not Bosch!!! in the Plumbing Tools area at Plumbers Forums

O

oldplumber

I bought a bosch combi drill 13 months back, :) now one af the NimHd batteries is already shot (despite running it flat prior to charging):mad:. Bosch offered a 3 year warranty on the drill but its not muchgood if the batteries die after 13 months, and you find the batteries arent part of a 3 yr warranty. what really ****es me off isIve got 3 NiCad batteries fm Bosch that are 4 yrs old and as good as the day I bought that drill, which is now back in the van. It seems that the more tools cost now the less they last, especially if the makers add "Professional" to the title

Any opinions on the best kit to buy nowadays, Milwarkee seems to be top of the polls in my area

A note now in favour of Bosch. ringing the reps mobile and complaining regularly on his answer phone resulted in a new and upgraded battery pack appearing in my merchants yesturday, surprised and happy now,trying the bosch service line resulted in FA, so it not what you know but who you know and winging works.

Hi, new to here but noticed the power tool thread. The best battery equipment i have used is milwaulkee. It's tough durable and powerful. The cordless hammer drill easily goes through walls with a 25mm sds bit.
I have used makita bosch and dewalt but the milwaulkee gear has been the best by far.
To the person considering the ryobi 18v plus one, my advice is avoid. I bought 1 and in less than a year of moderate use it is already knackered.

hi there i have just brought a milwaukee 18v combi and impact driver my local power tool shop recommended milwaukee over anything else they repair alot of makita and dewalt and have never had a milwaukee 18v back havent used it yet but i am happy with my choice.

skrufix.
makita 18v combi 2 batts 30min charger £80?.
any good?.

Yep!!!

Ive had my Makita 18v for several years. Its been hammered repeatedly and daily (excuse the pun)
and its still going strong.

Both batteries have decent charge capacity still and dont take long to recharge.

The drill is still as good as when it was new which is saying a lot!!

bosch (blue) makita or aeg are my thorts only go for 18 volt with 2.6 amp hour batterys anythig less dont have the grunt i am a carpenter by trade and wouldnt use anything else
most come with two batts an a 15 min charger nowadays
o an dont leave them in the van only night the cold drains the batterys

Hmm!

De Walt are part of Black and Decker is probably well known. But did you know Milwaukee, Ryobi, AEG, Regina and few other well known brands all belong to TTI?

Hmm!

Might find out only two people really write to the forum, everybody else is the same person using different names?

Globalisation isn't it?

I'm sure I've moaned about this tool elsewhere, but I bought two Makita drills to replace mine after a theft.

I bought a Makita BTP140RFE 18V Li-ion Cordless Combi Drill, which retails at Screwfix for £380.00 (I paid £310) and a big BHP451RFE, which will set you back another £300.

The combi drill is the WORSE peice of rubbish i ever owned and it's not just me. My mate bought one too and actually killed his on the first day, so got his money back.

I put a 18mm hole through a joist with mine, and it chucked out a load of thick grey smoke. It gets hot just driving in a few screws.

The bigger BHP451RFE, isn't too bad, but has 3 gears and crunches horribly if you tighten the chuck in anything but 1.

I miss my old Makita, I still have a Metabo, Lith Ion that I can't kill. WHich I suppose is a good sign!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
i still have a metabo corded hammer drill bought30 years back, no faults yet. draper also provide a great back up if you have any problems from my experience when looking for parts etc, unlike some companies that make you use a premium line to call them

Metabo do excellent stuff but i have mainly Hilti now. Expensive but really can't be beaten. Best screwdriver i ever had was the old makita 9.6 with the long handle. Perfect balance, light weight, good torque just a brilliant machine. I think they are still available but are not cheap. Panasonic also do good stuff.
It depends what you want to use it for. A 9.6v will drive most screws easily but is sh... (self edited) rubbish for drilling but if you are doing a lot of screws it won't tire you. Horses for courses i suppose.

dewalt and makita can't beat them. i've got a set of dewalt 18v drills circular saw and jig they are brilliant and i have makita hammer which never misses a beat can't beat them no way!!!!! i also have bosch combi drill and it seems that the battery runs out to quick and it never has as much power as my dewalt!

Metabo do excellent stuff but i have mainly Hilti now. Expensive but really can't be beaten. Best screwdriver i ever had was the old makita 9.6 with the long handle. Perfect balance, light weight, good torque just a brilliant machine. I think they are still available but are not cheap. Panasonic also do good stuff.
It depends what you want to use it for. A 9.6v will drive most screws easily but is sh... (self edited) rubbish for drilling but if you are doing a lot of screws it won't tire you. Horses for courses i suppose.
As you and Oldplumber say, Metabo do quality tools. Shame they're not better known.

Makita has had it's day. Even though I own loads of Makita, I'm pretty sure the build quality has gone down....just like Dewalts. They used to make good tools. Now they're like DIY quality.

I'd love to buy Hilti, but not many people stock it. Buying from them direct is also very tricky.

Where do you buy your Hilti kit?

I hear Festool make good kit...but never used it.

Hilti have a branch near me, just off Ferry Rd in Edinburgh.
Look up their website to see if they have a branch near you. You can also buy them from the website or they do a contract hire thing if it suits.
Be careful with them if you do buy them. Everybody else likes them too

I never thought an old git having a winge would generate a post going on for so long that people would look at, must have another proper moan about something soon:D:D:D

Ah but you're talking power tools. I've never met a trademen yet that doesn't love a bit of power tool chat. Me and the guys I work with all bought new tools back in March and we talked about them till April!!

Cheers for the advise Tamz, as ever mate!

i am after a dewalt combi at the moment.
i have my eye on a xrp 14.4 volt, yes i know the 18v is the norm, but they start getting heavy and the 14v kicks a good punch and replacement battery is cheaper too.

the one i have spotted at my local outlet is a 985 xrp with 2 x 2.6 nimh xrp and 30min charger and case... for £100.

what do you recon?.

shall i buy one?.

A lad that works for me killed my SDS today.

We were chasing and he had a 40mm chisel in there, and gloves on. It got so hot, all the oil from inside the chuck had run down his gloves which were melting!!

New one will be £150 from Screwfix, but it's 10% off from 1st of July.

It was a BOSCH GBH 2-26DRE 2kg - they're great tools. Everything has its breaking point.

Last edited:

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Have you spoken to Mira? Seems to me to be the...
Replies
Views
Welder
W
Back