Blocked Kitchen sink nightmare! | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Blocked Kitchen sink nightmare! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all your help so far, really very helpful. I've attached a picture of the pipe work under the sink so you can see, the AAV was attached to the top of the grey pipe at the back. As you can see I can't get it higher IMG_8300.jpg

If I run the tap the water drains absolutely fine now with the AAV removed, surely if there was a blockage of some sort the water would start to rise up? It only seems to be an issue now when the sink is filled up and the plug is taken out that it's very stop start....

Next door is on the opposite side of the wall so I'm guessing the pipe work runs underneath the flat and out the opposite side of the building

sounds to me like theres a possible blockage or partial blockage in the main stack either on the vent or the wet side

long run under floor will be full of crud ive had several like this usually dodgy flat conversions should have been run in 2 inch with a fall i bet if you lift a floor board this is just laying on the ceiling below

If I run the tap the water drains absolutely fine now with the AAV removed, surely if there was a blockage of some sort the water would start to rise up? It only seems to be an issue now when the sink is filled up and the plug is taken out that it's very stop start....

OK, this has already been explained, but one last time:

Imagine a bottle with a narrow-ish neck. Fill it water. Tip it slowly and water will run out nice and smoothly. That is the analogy of you turning the tap on. A steady stream that will run down the bottom of the waste pipe, with air above it, in a laminar flow.

Now imagine upending the bottle suddenly (filling the sink then pulling the plug). There will be "plug" of water, then it will stop, an air bubble will glug through the water, then there will be another plug of water, etc.

If the bottle neck is narrow, this will be more pronounced. A wider neck will be less so. Hence my suspicion that a partial blockage is causing enough of a narrowing to make this happen. When the pipe was totally clear (wider neck), it didn't happen.

By removing the AAV you've allowed a freer movement of air, improving the situation somewhat. Water would rise back up if the blockage were bigger. As it stands, it's allowing enough through to cause these plugs of water and the vacuum they create behind them.

As Steve said, the pipe is probably laying flat and has a layer of scum sitting on the bottom, narrowing the bore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
You need a mcalpine V33WM, the site won't let...
Replies
Views
You have a partial blockage downstream of the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
So, we have our answer. I tried a snake/rod...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, yes it is an adjustable trap. Not sure if...
Replies
Views
Back