boiler brakdowns please read | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss boiler brakdowns please read in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

P4ULT

i just wondered how you guys become experienced in breakdowns. i like to think im pretty experienced at the installation side of things.but the breakdowns are a different ball game.

first things first its breakdowns lol only messing

im on my level 3 now mate and we're taught a lot more in college so i feel for the lads whove been in the game longer. i have been to 2 training days and these were really helpful both worcestor ones - one with college and one with my firm.

multimeters are the way forward ive got an e-book on my computer on electronics and have read up all about how to use a multimeter and can now put this into practice and most faults can be found.

Also on one of the worcestor days i got given a printed circuit card that plugs into the harness so you can use your multi meter easily on the boilers the card works on.

when we were at college we didnt really cover breakdowns but a multi meter will be a wise investment but using it may take a little practice.

when we were at college we didnt really cover breakdowns but a multi meter will be a wise investment but using it may take a little practice.

we are taught by an ex worcestor engineer and its a heat and vent course if this makes a difference.

i just wondered how you guys become experienced in breakdowns. i like to think im pretty experienced at the installation side of things.but the breakdowns are a different ball game.

The answer is in your question you only become experienced by working to gain it. Electrical Knowledge is vital and so is how to use a multimeter not just have one. I don`t proffess to be a know it all but you have got to understand electrical circuits and switching circuits at the very least.

as someone who learnt combi repairs on the job any boiler course is worth its wieght in gold even if you only pick up a couple of tips from each
its very difficult to learn as you go as much of the stuff is exspensive buying a board and finding it doesnt cure the problem hurts

Lots of late night and weekend call outs,when I started did not have all the boiler courses there are now,so thats one way

Two points,when you go to repair a boiler and fix it,spend 1/2 hr checking how parts work on boiler when all running correctly,check currents and resistances and when you take a boiler out,strip it down and examine parts and dismantle so you not only know what they do but how they do it

Lots of late night and weekend call outs,when I started did not have all the boiler courses there are now,so thats one way

Two points,when you go to repair a boiler and fix it,spend 1/2 hr checking how parts work on boiler when all running correctly,check currents and resistances and when you take a boiler out,strip it down and examine parts and dismantle so you not only know what they do but how they do it

cracking advice. especially the currents and resistances, note them down, can save time and cost phoning the tech helplines.

I recently went on a refresher type boiler course and was told about one engineer who wrote details of every visit down in a book: boiler make, model, fault, etc. and what he did to correct the fault.

Over the years all he had to do was find the make and model and the fault would probably be one he'd done in the past so he knew what to look for before turning up at the door.

Im think to become a good breakdown engineer you have to spend a bit of time servicing appliances, you get to know appliances like the back of your hand and you get to know how they work.

I recently went on a refresher type boiler course and was told about one engineer who wrote details of every visit down in a book: boiler make, model, fault, etc. and what he did to correct the fault.

Over the years all he had to do was find the make and model and the fault would probably be one he'd done in the past so he knew what to look for before turning up at the door.

I was told to do the book thing as an apprentice, worth it weight in gold cause as you get older your memory gets worse and new equipment comes out and things change etc

ive got a folder for about 4-5 boiler makes at the moment - whenever i go on training days or get the chance i fill it with there manuals advice etc etc. im only just starting my level 3 but by time im fully qualified and ready to go on my own i want a room full of these haha.

get a call, ask them what boiler - if its a worcestor take the worcestor folder with me.

q plumb get yourself a cheap laptop and get the gaspro 2010 edition it has 4500 boiler , fire ,water heater and cylinder manuals on it. Its all you will ever need.

q plumb get yourself a cheap laptop and get the gaspro 2010 edition it has 4500 boiler , fire ,water heater and cylinder manuals on it. Its all you will ever need.
now this sounds like a good idea
as does writing down all the breakdowns you do

stripping the boioers is a goo idea too.

Last edited by a moderator:

got a laptop - think ive seen them boiler cds on ebay gaspro? ill make a note of that cheers mate

Excellent advise about using multimeters to diagnose boiler faults. I have just booked myself onto the BAXI course for introduction to Electronics which mainly covers using multimeters for fault finding. 1 day for £50.

Until now I have been using boiler manufacturers instructions for diagnosing problems and have got by. However they do not explain how to fault find on various switches etc, so rather than guesswork I would rather use a multimeter and get straight down to the faulty component. (Especially now that newer boilers are more complicated than ever !!!)

There are a number of software items on Ebay with most manufacturers instructions on and well worth it for little cost.

Cheers

Excellent advise about using multimeters to diagnose boiler faults. I have just booked myself onto the BAXI course for introduction to Electronics which mainly covers using multimeters for fault finding. 1 day for £50.

Until now I have been using boiler manufacturers instructions for diagnosing problems and have got by. However they do not explain how to fault find on various switches etc, so rather than guesswork I would rather use a multimeter and get straight down to the faulty component. (Especially now that newer boilers are more complicated than ever !!!)

There are a number of software items on Ebay with most manufacturers instructions on and well worth it for little cost.

Cheers
anymore details on that course like you i muddle thru but could do with some sloid basics

Did an enquiry after 6pm so won't get a response until tomorrow.
Will let you know when so if you fancy hooking up on the same course we could compare notes over a beer !!!

Hi Guys, Did a search on this gaspro 2010 and can't find anything about it.
Being an Aussie plumber living in the UK (fully qualified and gas safe).
I too struggle with some fault finding knowledge and getting my head around all of the hundreds of boilers over here - they don't have em where I come from and definately no heating.
I have done a few of the Baxi courses (basic electric, boiler diagnostic and combi appreciation) and can recommend them - decent lunch and little gift at the end of day - If I could earn money from going to them I'd be there everyday!

Jon.

Sounds like the rest is down to experience my ozzy friend !!!!

Good Luck !!!!

So you would recommend the CD payney? does it cover the more modern boilers as well?

there is a training company called Mr combi who does a fault finding training dvd for £60

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

C
Try reading this - the pump and flow switch
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
Your sensitivity, arrogance and ignorance are...
Replies
Views
P
Tricky situation for you. Boiler shouldn't...
Replies
Views
Finally (I hope) got to the bottom of this...
2 3
Replies
Views
Back