boiler brakdowns please read | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss boiler brakdowns please read in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
i learned by experience,the best training there is,but help your self a bit by getting honeywells wiring/faulting guide this will realy help with y and s plan faulting as for boilers/combis it is down to experience

Hi, I just joined the forum and discovered this thread which I just Have to respond to. Like you jono44 I too have been to Baxi in Dartford for a few of their courses which I found to be excellent, however the really interesting part is when i attended the BASIC ELECTRICS course a couple of weeks ago there was a moderately disruptive element on the course by the name of George. Turns out that George was none other than George Staszak aka Mr Combi.
Make of that what you will amigos

ah you are joking thats a laugh, I have been doing breakdowns for 15 years or more and am still learning , a multimeter is defo the way forward not that i always use mine but have recently started

Gasmarc, I should think after 15 years you wouldn't need a multimeter, you could just use The Force lol.
I took my advanced C&Gs over twenty years ago and have had a very varied career to date, to be honest it is the learning aspect of doing breakdowns that appeals to me, well that and not being in an office or on my knees all day!

Multimeter and the MI's is all you really need, so learn the basics with the multimeter and get either the gaspro cd roms or if you can get online at a job use http://manuals.aonly.com/index.php its free. just power up the MI's and use the fault finding section, its a good little tip to get a bluetooth head set, because if you end up phoning the tech help desk you could be waiting for upto 20 minutes, time you could use testing with multimeter. plus you will need two hands if they get you to do something.

@plumbsafe, I've got the gaspro cds on order, seems like it was protocol for a number of years to not leave MI's with the customer (as I'm discovering!) and of course the multimeter's a given. Many thanks for the heads up on the website too although I'm still not convinced about the bluetooth headset, all a bit too 'Davros' if you ask me lol

i have one of those ear things but never really got on with it also it needed charging if memory serves me right, what i do find handy is head phones , many the time I have been doing a job that requires three hands only for the phone to ring and its some clown trying to sell you something, regarding those gaspro discs can you just loads them onto your laptop and thats it ?

i have one of those ear things but never really got on with it also it needed charging if memory serves me right, what i do find handy is head phones , many the time I have been doing a job that requires three hands only for the phone to ring and its some clown trying to sell you something, regarding those gaspro discs can you just loads them onto your laptop and thats it ?

yeah you can load them on to your laptop or flash drive, I just keep all 10 discs in the case and get the correct one out with each boiler, as the are separated into manufactures, the cds are a life saver, they have got me out of trouble so many times.

Could anyone then recommend for someone like myself ( just passed acs, work in installation only, without any real access to the electrical side), a good book to start and learn some basic electrics and multimeter use, before going on any courses and looking a dope and to be ab le to take as much in as possible. cheers.

dazpara, go see them at Baxi, they'll look after you trust me, they'll explain electrical principles in physical/mechanical terms and if you don't understand a bit they'll take the time to explain it, worked for me and I've always been a complete doughnut when it comes to electrics

Could anyone then recommend for someone like myself ( just passed acs, work in installation only, without any real access to the electrical side), a good book to start and learn some basic electrics and multimeter use, before going on any courses and looking a dope and to be ab le to take as much in as possible. cheers.

Central Heating Combination Boilers: Fault Finding and Repair by John Reginald. Do the Baxi course first

Register here and download their wiring guide issue 14 and learn it off by heart
Honeywell United Kingdom Heating Controls

ive just started attending a few breakdowns i just follow this rule call, pump, fan, pressure switch, ignition its worked for me so far and ive seen it mentioned on hear somewhere aswell. ive still got a lot to learn though.

pressure(water),polarity,gas,ignition,detection follow these and fill in the blanks when faulting

Cheers guys, sound advice here, seem a bit more approachable here than DIY NOT, ha!

you might find looking at simple boiler diagrams like a halstead ace interesting reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

C
Try reading this - the pump and flow switch
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
Your sensitivity, arrogance and ignorance are...
Replies
Views
P
Tricky situation for you. Boiler shouldn't...
Replies
Views
Finally (I hope) got to the bottom of this...
2 3
Replies
Views
Back