Boiler clicking when off | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler clicking when off in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hobbes1218

Hi folks, we recently had a Glowworm combi gas boiler installed above our bedroom and it has woken me up at 4am for the past two nights with a short sequence of clicking sounds lasting around 10 seconds. Two days ago the heating was set to come on at 7am so why would it click at 4am? Last night I had the heating set not to come on at all but at almost the same time (10 minutes later I think) the clicking started again (at least this is when it first woke me up). This time is was repeated at 5:10 and 6:30am. Thanks for any ideas - I need some sleep! All I can think of tonight is to turn it off at the mains would this be OK to do?

Cheers,
Chris

Are you sure it's the heating? The boiler may have eco and is pre-heating the flat plate heat exchanger. I would suggest you get your installer back to check the settings.

I have looked at a manual for a glow worm this may not be yours. But on the front panel there is a temperature dial. If you turn it off the eco setting, assuming this is the problem the boiler won't fire short burstvat night. Good luck.

Thanks for taking a look moonlight. We had a British Gas engineer around today for another reason - but he kindly took a look at the boiler after saying he thought it was the pre-heating as well. He was in the loft for 20 minutes but said he couldn't turn off the pre-heating - he said it seemed fixed to factory settings and to call Glow Worm for advice on how to do this. So it does seem likely to be pre-heating but if a BG engineer can't sort it in 20 minutes I'm not holding out much hope for me! I'm not looking forward to 4am.

The engineer didn't seem too familiar with this boiler so maybe he missed the eco setting? Worth a go tomorrow? Too late to head into the loft tonight. Thanks for the hope!

The instructions say:
To access the Pre Heat function hold in the "+" button for 5 seconds. The display will indicate (flashing) if it is ON/OFF(OF).

But when it is held for 5 or more seconds only the temp is displayed.

The instructions say:
To access the Pre Heat function hold in the "+" button for 5 seconds. The display will indicate (flashing) if it is ON/OFF(OF).

But when it is held for 5 or more seconds only the temp is displayed.

If you've exhausted the user instructions you were given when the boiler was installed and they aren't working then call the original installer and ask them to assist. Otherwise, as your BG engineer said, "call Glow Worm for advice".

Call customer services at gloworm they will get someone to talk you through disabling it , failing that get the installer back regards kop

Clicking bolts, add copper grease on 4x bolts on heat hex and on burner=call glowworm and there sort it. Expansion in metals is causing noise

Thanks Jay Jay. It doesn't now appear that my boiler has a pre-heat function (I looked at wrong online manual) so it must be frost protection (doesn't seem cold enough) - or something like you describe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

J
Just in case anyone else has the same problem...
Replies
Views
Jomart
J
Think you'd be lucky if you get 15. Got to...
Replies
Views
Thank you for the detailed and considered...
Replies
Views
Thanks will try this out, appreciate the help
Replies
Views
Let’s have a heated debate…
Replies
Views
Back