Boiler cutting out. | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler cutting out. in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jase158

Hi all,

Did a power flush a few months ago, went back this week as boiler cutting out and BG say that it wasn't flushed properly. I went there and customer says it is kettling, when I listened to boiler it wasn't kettling, but more like a pump struggling noise, although pump is upstairs in airing cupboard, any way it wasn't too noisy, even though he was adimement that it was. So I have put X400 in and left over xmas and will go back after Xmas to drain down and refill.

The main problem is that the reset button keeps going and pilot light is switching off, forgot to get make of boiler but it is old cast iron type boiler. Is this likely to be due to sludge in heat exchange or is there likely to be something else causing it. Customer did say that BG did replace something in boiler, but he didnt know what, possibly the sensor, which was the wrong type.

The property is empty at the moment and is only on for a few hours a day.

Thanks in advance

Sounds like the boiler is overheating jase158. Least likely cause after a flush would be sludge you'd think, most likely cause would be dodgy boiler stat! All depends on the reasons for flushing in the first place and how well you carried out the system cleanse to be honest. Did it trip out before the flush?

No didnt trip out before, and the reason for flushing was as BG wouldnt cover due to sludge in system. I can't remember if there was another reason or not. I did it well, always do, go round each radiator one at a time, wash out one at a time. I think that was what he said BG did replace the boiler stat. not really listening as it was xmas eve and it seemed like he was absolutely blagging. he said radiators not working at all, i.e. I remember doing it well as the property was empty so easy to get to radiators and no worries about getting heating on before sundown, i.e.

The water was clean when I went to have a look. And there was no signs of sludge in the system. But BG said that it wasnt done properly. so I am covering myself by putting cleaner in system, let it run for a week and then see if the water turns dirty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bg trying to cop out keep a sample of the water when you drain it or have the landlord present

check gas rate, burner pressure are correct.

if you have an spare pump then make sure the pump valves work when you drain down and try the spare pump to see if it improves the matter, if it does fit a new pump.

i would keep a water sample as suggested, you can always send it off for test to prove its clear.

sounds like BG making excuses, ask the customer to ask them what tests they did to know the system was not flushed correctly/sludged up.

Jase don't check gas rate / burner pressure until u get that gas safe registration mate. Sounds to me like a pump change.

I'd be inclined to go with the first reply here by Mcnivens & APPlumbing sugestion to check/replace the pump? Remember that we're advising without seeing what's going on so you make the call ... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Unfortunately the fitting of a new Venturi did...
Replies
Views
Its easy to check for a leak, just tie up the...
Replies
Views
You will need a check valve to stop reverse...
2 3
Replies
Views
Thanks for both replies - so the search is on...
Replies
Views
Normal as they only get paid 150-200 per install
Replies
Views
Back