Boiler data - % efficiency at min/max modulation | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler data - % efficiency at min/max modulation in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

We all know that short-cycling is bad - and that it's good for a boiler to have a wide modulation range.

But I can find no facts in data sheets - is the boiler as efficient at it's lowest modulation level: as at full gas?

Has anyone ever had hard data from a manufacturer?

I'm wondering if we're fooling ourselves - like heatGeek's graph that shows we may be fooling ourselves about efficiency - his graph shows boilers with datasheet claims of ~ 95 % efficiency - instead run at ~85% efficiency when return temps are above 50...

The full spec sheet for plenty of modern boilers give efficiencies determined under various operating conditions, e.g.

This, gives four values: PCDB seasonal efficiency, Part L2 seasonal efficiency, Net efficiency at 100% output (80/60), Net efficiency at 30% output (50/30). Not exactly what you asked for but quite close.

In practice, efficiencies at low modulation levels go up because, for a given emitter system, the return temperature is lower.

Modern boilers and controls limit "short cycling" to typically six (gas) or three (oil) cycles per hour. I doubt that anyone who isn't working in a manufacturer's design lab actually 'knows' what impact the has on the life of the boiler. Based on the long term warranty cover available for modern boilers I suspect that it's not that harmful to the boiler.

I don't like short cycling because the oscillating temperature of the radiators reduces the comfort level for the occupants who then increase the thermostat set point to compensate. Also the slip-stick noise of pipework expanding and contracting can be annoying.

This, gives four values: PCDB seasonal efficiency, Part L2 seasonal efficiency, Net efficiency at 100% output (80/60), Net efficiency at 30% output (50/30). Not exactly what you asked for but quite close.

Thanks @Chuck - I checked those numbers and many boilers have better efficiency at the "30% load, 30 degree Return temp) level.
You quote those numbers as '50/30' degree C: where did you find the 50C Flow value - I only see the Return being given ?

Either way -those numbers are changing 2 factors (return Temp / % output).
It's widely know from heatGeek and etc that lower temp Returns makes for a big jump in efficiency.
But I haven't seen anywhere the % change as % output changes.

It's possible for example, that dropping output below 30% may, for some boiler designs, seriously reduce % efficiency?
I'd love to have hard facts!

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks will try this out, appreciate the help
Replies
Views
hello, old post but what did you go with in...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 131795
D
A RGI may be able (on advice) to range rate...
Replies
Views
There's nothing wrong with external boilers...
Replies
Views
I have connected the secondary pump to a wifi...
Replies
Views
Back