Boiler distance from kitchen sink | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler distance from kitchen sink in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think thats a recommendation & good practice , its not a regulation & in reality not always practical . There is no specific regulation concerning this . ( Waste disposal units ? )

From current BS 6798:2009

Specification for installation and maintenance of gas-fired boilers of rated input not exceeding 70 kW net

Electricity supplies and wiring
5.6.1 The electrical installation shall conform to BS 7671.
5.6.2 Electricity supplies to the boiler and any ancillary controls shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
5.6.3 The point of connection to the mains electricity shall be readily accessible and the method of connection shall provide electrical isolation of the boiler and all ancillary electrical controls by either:
a) a double-pole switched fused connection unit; or
b) a fused three-pin plug and an unswitched shuttered socket outlet (refer to 5.3.5.4 if the boiler is going to be installed in a bathroom).

COMMENTARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS ON 5.6.3
The Institution of Electrical Engineers Electrician’s Guide to the Building Regulations [17] advises that a minimum of 300 mm should be allowed from the edge of kitchen sinks and draining boards to the boiler’s point of connection to the mains electricity to reduce the risk of being splashed.

' Advises ' ,,,, not regulation . I'm not suggesting that this isn't good advise or practice . In the real world though it isn't often achievable . A small kitchen , tall fridge / freezer ( 600 mm ) cooker ( 600 mm) , usually a window , often boiler ( pipework ) can be left with 1500mm or so to position say 4 sockets , cooker switch , f/spurs for w/m , f/f , programmer etc, this can be even more hazardous . Its another situation where professional judgement & risk assessment needs to be used .
If the Regulations are followed , it will be safe.
BTW Ive just switched the kettle on while washing the dishes ,,,,, 1200mm:rockon2: ,,,,,, & I lived

Some have seen this one before…
Sinks can be handy…

pott.jpg

' Advises ' ,,,, not regulation . I'm not suggesting that this isn't good advise or practice . In the real world though it isn't often achievable . A small kitchen , tall fridge / freezer ( 600 mm ) cooker ( 600 mm) , usually a window , often boiler ( pipework ) can be left with 1500mm or so to position say 4 sockets , cooker switch , f/spurs for w/m , f/f , programmer etc, this can be even more hazardous . Its another situation where professional judgement & risk assessment needs to be used .
If the Regulations are followed , it will be safe.
BTW Ive just switched the kettle on while washing the dishes ,,,,, 1200mm:rockon2: ,,,,,, & I lived

Did you know that BS7671 or the 17[SUP]th[/SUP] regulations are non-statutory?

Did you know that BS7671 or the 17[SUP]th[/SUP] regulations are non-statutory?

No.

But part P of the Building Regulations 2010, and part P1 in particular, is.

Part P actually states that "Electrical installations should be designed and installed in accordance with BS 7671:2008 incorporating Amendment No 1:2011."

Last edited by a moderator:
I did , its probably the most recognised way of complying with the EAWR which are ,

I am on the right forum here aren't I :54:

No.

But part P of the Building Regulations 2010, and part P1 in particular, is.

Part P actually states that "Electrical installations should be designed and installed in accordance with BS 7671:2008 incorporating Amendment No 1:2011."

From the 17th:

Regulation 114.1 The Regulations are non-statutory. They may, however, be used in a court of law in evidence to claim compliance with a statutory requirement. The relevant statutory provisions are listed in Appendix 2 and include Acts of Parlament and Regulations made thereunder. In some cases statutory regulations may be accompanied by Codes of Practice approved under Section 16 of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. …

the highway code isnt law but advisory as well, but just break the advisory rules and see what plod can do to you in court!

the highway code isnt law but advisory as well, but just break the advisory rules and see what plod can do to you in court!
Elements of it have been taken into law tho haven't they ? Speed limits etc
Deffo on the wrong forum :cheesy:

Anyone know if its too early to start baking xmas cakes :crowngrin:

& you won't get taken to court as long as you install to current regs , using sound engineering judgement taking into account environment ( which is in regs ) . If there's a potential for danger this clearly has to be addressed but the answer to the original ( generic ) question is , no

Elements of it have been taken into law tho haven't they ? Speed limits etc
Deffo on the wrong forum :cheesy:

Anyone know if its too early to start baking xmas cakes :crowngrin:

far to early but the game season is in full swing so b off down your burrow :)

Can't see any bonding, grab tap, grab boiler,zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Oh dear ,,,,, just googled ' people been killed at kitchen sink by electrocution ' guess what ,
Nowt
So go on , what needs bonding & why ? ,,,,,,,, & I don't mean ' cos it says so '

& all in the interest of getting my post count up :cheesy:
I'm great at parties too :30:

ive googled croppie bans members and it comes up as crappie band members.

& you won't get taken to court as long as you install to current regs , using sound engineering judgement taking into account environment ( which is in regs ) . If there's a potential for danger this clearly has to be addressed but the answer to the original ( generic ) question is , no

You failed when you mentioned the 'E' word!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

You have a partial blockage downstream of the...
Replies
Views
L
That shouldn't happen. Going to need lots of...
Replies
Views
Would it be better to run this pipe in to the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Pipe moved...Temporarily fed back...
Replies
Views
Probably your main stopcock is not fitted the...
Replies
Views
Back