Boiler does what it likes | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler does what it likes in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cudge

We have a Baxi Solo 3 PFL 60 and it appears to just do whatever it wants whenever it wants. Right now the boiler thermostat is set around 20%, the living room thermostat is around 7c, the electronic timer for CH and HW (CH is indirect) in the airing cupboard is off for both, the cylinder thermostat is at minimum, and the Baxi is still firing up and heating periodically. It heats for a minute or so, stops, and then sometime later will do the same thing. I haven't gone as far as to time or measure anything as I haven't given it much attention until today but it seems like it's trying to heat and keep the water hot for no particular reason.

I don't really understand how all these bits and bobs work together, I don't know what bit overrides what or anything like that but what I have tried is to increase all the dials and other settings in an effort to manually make the boiler start heating but even with the room thermostat up to over 25c, the CH and HW to on, and the cylinder thermostat to 80c, the boiler doesn't seem to start heating as it probably should. It just seems content to continue heating when it likes. Before I messed around the settings were boiler thermostat 50%, room 10c, CH off and HW auto, cylinder 60c and they've been set to these for months and months so it's not like the water has been sitting at 80c and it's thus trying to maintain that temp.

I don't think the room thermostat actually does anything, it's been here for over 20 years and we've never really touched it or adjusted anything. The electronic timer seems to control the actuators in the airing cupboard correctly. I'm not sure if the cylinder thermostat works. I just know the boiler starts up periodically and that's it, even in the summer.

We don't have a thermometer handy but it's not cold here at the moment so it shouldn't be any kind of freeze protection kicking in. Any idea what the problem/cause could be? This is costing us a fortune in gas. We have a scheduled service in 2 weeks but in the meantime any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My sister has also just used a lot of hot water for a bath so I'll be able so see in a few hours if it's refilling the cylinder with hot water.

bring your service forward and get it all explained to you in person

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

thanks.... yes, so my diagram and wording is...
2 3
Replies
Views
B
No the installers need to come out
Replies
Views
Academic now but I installed one of these as a...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Or elec bills as it would be running...
Replies
Views
Back