Boiler Electric supply | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler Electric supply in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

electricgraham

Hi all just been to look at a job of removing wiring from airing cupboard where the old boiler used to live but while there i noticed that there new boiler is connected by a plug into kitchen socket and wondered if this is legal, just never seen one connected this way before?
Thanks in advance Graham

As long as it has the correct fuse rating alas it is :)

Whenever I see an istall with a flying lead and plug I know there has been compromises elsewhere on the install *sigh*

A plug is absolutely fine.

As long as it is protected by a 3 amp fuse the regs only say it has to be able to be isolated for maintenance (unplugged).

And of course the whole boiler including plug must not be in a wet zone.

Thanks for quick reply, i didnt say anything to customer just wanted to check.

I prefer to see a fused spur. To me it looks a lot more professional. Only my opinion but I think a plug looks diy.

i prefer a plug once its out you know its off and you can do electrical checks from plug pins

Agree with Steve. Total isolation is the best way. I think it has to be on an unswitched socket so you cant just flick the switch to isolate it.

I argue with electricians most of the time about this. They always want to put fused spurs on, whats so good about a ruddy fused spur?

Ive read in many MIs that plugs are totally fine.

Okay if i may elaberate regards the 'plug'

I would totally accept a purpose provided plug in socket and plug .. A definite means of absolute isolation without a doubt... However in my experience those that use a socket take over an otherwise usefull kitchen or otherwise purpose provided socket, never intended for perminent fixture or boiler connection! A plug in socket ment to be used solely for the isolation of the central heating appliance I accept .. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There must be many installations that are in...
Replies
Views
That looks like excessive wear on the housing...
2 3
Replies
Views
The mains water is now feeding everything in...
Replies
Views
Are you controlling the stove flow temperature...
Replies
Views
It's a sealed system so if its leaking from...
Replies
Views
Back