boiler engineer or electrician? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss boiler engineer or electrician? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andy empsall

Am new here so please don't flame me if I've posted in the wrong section.

About 8 weeks ago we had a new boiler fitted. Ever since, when we wash our hands directly under a running tap we experience sharp pains in any cuts or scratches we have on our hands. I initially dismissed as being due to an increase in the water pressure output of the new boiler. However, something much more concerning happened today. I was in the bath and when I reached to pull the plug out I got what felt like quite a harsh static electric shock. It happened when I touched anything metal whilst in the bath, the taps, plug, radiator. I got out and dried myself and touched the tap. Nothing. I put one hand in the bath and touched the tap and got a shock. I then tried all the other sinks in the house but they were fine. No shocks. Went back to the bath ten mins later and ran some more water to test it again. This time no shock.

Any ideas anyone as to what might be causing each problem and whether they could be linked.

Should I call the boiler engineer back out or maybe an electrician?

Last edited by a moderator:
Please call out an electrician ASAP.

This sounds like a live wire is touching something on the pipe work (and conducting the current).

Do this ASAP. People have been killed in just this manner.

Oh and as a point of interest. One case of this was very similar. The electrician came and checked the system and found no fault. Then hours later the lady of the house was doing the washing up in the sink when she was shocked and killed.

There had been a timer on the faulty component, and when the electrician checked the system the timer was off.

So your fault could be because of a timer, or it could be linked into the installation of the boiler (only going live when the boiler is run) is yours a combination boiler by any chance?

Sound advice. Get someone in quick! Also give the firm who installed the boiler a call.

Last edited:
Yes it is. A Worcester Bosch greenstar 30si. so basically you're saying don't use the water until an electrician has tested everything?

Get an electrician out too if he isn't a qualified electrician too.

The cause of the pain is electricity, so have it looked at by someone with the appropriate skill set.

8 weeks of being electrocuted every time you use the taps or bath! Let's not be to hasty in calling an electrician ! Is this joke?

KILL THE POWER TO BOILER STRAIGHT AWAY. SEND YOUR FAMILY TO MUMS AND GET AN EMERGENCY ELECTRICIAN IN RIGHT AWAY NO ONE ON HERE WILL BE ABLE TO KEEP YOU SAFE - by speculating on the cause without seeing it

About 8 weeks ago we had a new boiler fitted. Ever since, when we wash our hands directly under a running tap we experience sharp pains in any cuts or scratches we have on our hands. I initially dismissed as being due to an increase in the water pressure output of the new boiler. However, something much more concerning happened today. I was in the bath and when I reached to pull the plug out I got what felt like quite a harsh static electric shock. It happened when I touched anything metal whilst in the bath, the taps, plug, radiator. I got out and dried myself and touched the tap. Nothing. I put one hand in the bath and touched the tap and got a shock. I then tried all the other sinks in the house but they were fine. No shocks. Went back to the bath ten mins later and ran some more water to test it again. This time no shock.

Any ideas anyone as to what might be causing each problem and whether they could be linked.

This forum is at its best when its interactive so please can you update us all about the problem the cure and let us all know you and your nearest are now safe

centralheatking

I hate getting shocked. Certainly wakes you up.

I hope you get it sorted and quickly

8 weeks of being electrocuted every time you use the taps or bath! Let's not be to hasty in calling an electrician ! Is this joke?

perhaps reread the original post. I didn't get knowingly 'shocked' until TODAY as that is when the bath tap incident occurred so NO, this is NOT a joke genius. If you can't be constructive with your feedback then please don't post.

Engineer still here so will let the forum know what the outcome is. Thanks to all the people who have positively contributed. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooooooooooh I think it might have shocked your sense of humour, I seem to remember bad language was banned from this site. Ask the engineer why the water hurts in any cuts since the boiler was fitted?

Ooooooooooh I think it might have shocked your sense of humour, I seem to remember bad language was banned from this site. Ask the engineer why the water hurts in any cuts since the boiler was fitted?

I apologise for my language. At the time of reading i was a little angry and concerned about my family and your suggestion that I'd sat inactive touched a nerve. Anyhow, engineer has been out. He put a srcew through a cable in the wall when fixing the boiler to the wall. He is working on it as we speak.

I appreciate the update.
Glad you seem to have it sorted.
Dont forget to have the damaged cable replaced.

To all the engineers on here, this is where the "socket and see" would have come into its own.

Last edited:
I have known this before when a engineer has drilled a pipe through a wall, I don't know how you can not know you've done that though.
if its been like that since install. Did he not touch the boiler after fitting it?
must of worked through the pain and went home hair standing up.

I cut a pipe once under the floor, and was draining it into a little tuppaware container.

Anyway, I suddenly got a shock off the pipe. Little did I know, as I'd pushed the plastic container under the floor, a taped up connector block from the lighting had dropped into it. So when the water got through the tape, and then conducted to the pipe, I got a belt!

Horrible. I always sulk for a while after a bit of 240V fun.

Thanks OP for updating us.

I use the metal camping tins to catch water and done the same.
under the floor and water had missed the tin, there was a live cable just been chopped off.
live cable sat in water through the tin then to me, strange enough I had to touch it twice?? Peed me right off, I said to the custard anymore like that and I'm off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

P
Tricky situation for you. Boiler shouldn't...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
H
Prob blocked / frozen condense pipe does it...
Replies
Views
Np Simon. Hoping to get the boiler engineer...
Replies
Views
Sounds like he was in too deep. At least he...
Replies
Views
Back