Boiler Flue damged new soffit fascia boards | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler Flue damged new soffit fascia boards in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have called the fascia company to look at it. Should they be responsible for putting the right sort of fascia / protector where a flue is present?

I have got a stainless steel mental plate but not 1 meter long. I will suggest to fascia thet they need to cover the whole of the fascia/ soffit with 1 metre of stainless steel protector.

Do any one have any photos of where they is done, so I can get ideas?

They have a duty of care to make sure any work they may carry out does not affect the safe operation of a gas appliance (whether they know it or not) so get them to sort it out.

tell them they have contavened Regulation 8 of the GSIUR (Gas Safety Regs) and could be liable for an unlimited fine if any damage or injury results from their alterations to the property, and it would be in their best interests to resolve the problem before you report them, they will say they dont know anything about the Gas Regs, tell them that is obvious from their shoddy work however ignorance of the Regs is no excuse, pressurise them and they will fit a suitable heat shield, dont move the boiler protect the plastic

told you sva19 you would get loads of advice as soon as they saw the photo's

tell them they have contavened Regulation 8 of the GSIUR (Gas Safety Regs) and could be liable for an unlimited fine if any damage or injury results from their alterations to the property, and it would be in their best interests to resolve the problem before you report them, they will say they dont know anything about the Gas Regs, tell them that is obvious from their shoddy work however ignorance of the Regs is no excuse, pressurise them and they will fit a suitable heat shield, dont move the boiler protect the plastic

Thanks so even if they done no gas work but just the fact they have alerted the property ( fascia boards) they still need to ensure regulations are adhered to I. E ensure flue and fascia is safe ???

Also some post mention stainless steel and some aluminium ? Which one is the best?
Thanks and Stani u right loads reply . These forum are wonderful places to gather advice

Thanks so even if they done no gas work but just the fact they have alerted the property ( fascia boards) they still need to ensure regulations are adhered to I. E ensure flue and fascia is safe ???

Also some post mention stainless steel and some aluminium ? Which one is the best?
Thanks and Stani u right loads reply . These forum are wonderful places to gather advice

this is a cut and paste from the regs:

Regulation 8 Existing gas fittings
(1) No person shall make any alteration to any premises in which a gas fitting or gas storage vessel is fitted if that alteration would adversely affect the safety of the fitting or vessel in such a manner that, if the fitting or the vessel had been installed after the alteration, there would have been a contravention of, or failure to comply with, these Regulations.

(3) In relation to any place of work under his control, an employer or a self-employed person shall ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that the provisions of paragraphs (1) and (2) are complied with.

below is an explanatory note which goes with the reg:
It is recommended that a responsible person, eg a principal contractor, foreman, site manager or other person with overall control of the work, is nominated to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, compliance with regulation 8(1) and (2).

Can this type of flue not be extend slightly?

We used to extend them years ago by getting a bit fabricated up to suit. It would probably be frowned upon now tho and in any case it would not be suitable for this type of thing.

Stainless is best but aluminium plate will do the same job. It is just there to act as a heat shield. You don't want to use steel plate as it will rust.

Maybe the fascia company should of warned you that there could be a possible problem with the closeness of the flue, but i cant see it being the fascia company's problem, the flue has been fitted to close to the soffit from day 1, it should be 300mm minimum away, as i can see yours is only 200mm max!

if the existing soffit was damaged they should have noticed and alerted the customer, if it wasnt damaged they have created a danger by fitting a material too close to a flue, this is in breach of REG 8 of the GSIUR's and could lead the facia company to get into serious trouble as they have either ignored a fire risk, or created one where there wasnt one, (the original fascia could have had heat resistant paint on it, unlikely but possible) and either way there is no doubt the new stuff is heat damaged and is now ID

if the existing soffit was damaged they should have noticed and alerted the customer, if it wasnt damaged they have created a danger by fitting a material too close to a flue, this is in breach of REG 8 of the GSIUR's and could lead the facia company to get into serious trouble as they have either ignored a fire risk, or created one where there wasnt one, (the original fascia could have had heat resistant paint on it, unlikely but possible) and either way there is no doubt the new stuff is heat damaged and is now ID

The existing could have been AIB. The house looks around the right age.

Kirkgas thanks for reply, I fitted said fascia with a steel deflector plate above the flue though not blocking or restricting the flue so am looking for some think better to do the job,
Their are only 2 brick courses above the flue.
The origanal soffit was asbestos and wooden facia - plastic guttering which had all warped.
Do you know of any think thats made to do the job. many thanks clive spice

They should have realised heat rises

I came across this site looking for a solution to the problem of passing a hot flue through a soffit, which are often uPVC nowadays.
The solution I think I found today is to use Hardiebacker 250 cement board. It's heat and weather proof, about 6mm thick and I bought a 80 x 120 cm sheet for £12 approx at a Chelmsford Builders Merchants.
When I've got it installed, in a few weeks, I'll confirm and let you know if there were any problems cutting it.

boiler was probably legal when fitted the MI's often said i could go closer than recomended if a heat shield was fitted and if soffit was asbestos it wasnt going to burn anyway but as kirk has said its the soffit companies problem a big national builder was recently fined thousands for blocking a chimney that they didnt check wasnt in use

Remind me never to do any work at your house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

P
Tricky situation for you. Boiler shouldn't...
Replies
Views
Hello, Ben this is what I thought as it seems...
Replies
Views
when I removed the back coal saver I can now...
Replies
Views
The electrics are getting sorted Wednesday...
Replies
Views
Back