Boiler flue not accessible but builder says it's all one piece | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler flue not accessible but builder says it's all one piece in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Hello everyone. I'm hoping someone can help...

We have recently redone our property and there is a new boiler and flue. The flue enters the ceiling above the boiler and is hidden from view (above a bathroom) until it exits through the wall.

We have tried to get a gas certificate but the engineer can't see sufficiently far to confirm there are no joins in the flue pipe. We'd like to avoid access hatches having just re-done the ceiling, and the builder (who has now gone AWOL) promised it was all one piece.

Can we put a camera inside the flue - might that answer the question? Any other ideas?

Thanks so much

Tony

20190102_204902.jpg

20190102_204624.jpg

You will need hatches cutting into the ceiling to verify this. Doesn’t matter if the builder says it’s one piece the next gas engineer can’t verify that

theres joints in the rook space

needs hatches also who installed the boiler?

I’d say it’s too long to be one piece

Thanks - the builder (company now in liquidation, so we're stuck...) said it was one piece - the length is about 2.4m. Presumably it could theoretically be one piece, if we recorded a camera inside the pipe would that work?

If not, would you mind letting me know roughly how much hatches cost?

Thanks!

Thanks - the builder (company now in liquidation, so we're stuck...) said it was one piece - the length is about 2.4m. Presumably it could theoretically be one piece, if we recorded a camera inside the pipe would that work?

If not, would you mind letting me know roughly how much hatches cost?

Thanks!

wont be in once piece max flue length in one piece is 2m but i will be surprised as no on uses them unless they have to

also you will still have two joints one boiler end one flue exit end

best option get a gas safe engy in to re commission and inspect the boiler also get him to fix hatches where the flue runs

wont be in once piece max flue length in one piece is 2m but i will be surprised as no on uses them unless they have to

also you will still have two joints one boiler end one flue exit end

best option get a gas safe engy in to re commission and inspect the boiler also get him to fix hatches where the flue runs

Thanks - do you know roughly how much hatches should cost to fit?

Thanks - do you know roughly how much hatches should cost to fit?

depends on a lot of factors

any where from £150 to x amount

do they need to be fire rated are they easy to install best get a quote

Builder ??????????

Maybe commissioning/benchmark sheet not filed it.

I must be getting cynical in my old age.

I would v.strongly suggest it will need recommissioning with correct inspection hatches as previously mentioned, not just to tick the box but for your own peace of mind.

Just think of your priorities & the safety of your family.

Is it really worth saving a few quid............

Why is thhere a towel rad, about 6" from the ceiling?
Long towels??

Is that label not a cupboard label?
Boiler is in a compartment, see second photo in Original Post.
It doesn't say whether the boiler compartment is in the bathroom or outside of it or previously had a boiler in it and the flue has been altered or that the boiler is new.

But it does say bathroom redone recently, so if it's a recently installed boiler why is a (British Gas ?) GSR looking at it now?

Unfortunately we do need to be able to inspect the full length of the flue, when flues are boxed in this is usually achieved by placing access hatches at every joint, these hatches also have to be a minimum of 300mm x 300mm and you will need at least 3 of them. A camera will not be sufficient. You say the flue is above a recently done bathroom ceiling. Whats above the ceiling? Is there removable floorboards?

Similar plumbing topics

That's good mate. Well done for spotting and...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
Back