Boiler input and output? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler input and output? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening all,

If I designed a heating system to work on a 20kw boiler -

Would the boilers input or output be 20kw?

Please can someone explain the meaining!

Thanks

Heat input is how much energy you put into the boiler to get its output. So due to efficiency losses you might find a boiler with a 20kw output has a heat input of say 22kw. If you have sized a house and need 20kw you would be looking for a boiler with an OUTPUT of 20kw

Most boiler manufacturers quote outputs

Last edited by a moderator:
If I designed a heating system to work on a 20kw boiler
That's putting the cart before the horse!

The first thing to do is calculate the heat loss from your house. The easiest way to do this is by using the Boiler Size Calculator. Manufacturers normally quote the boiler output, so you need a boiler of the size given by the calculator, or next largest.

This assumes that you have a hot water cylinder. If you want to install a combi boiler, you need to size it according to the cold water flow rate and the demand - number of taps/showers running at the same time. A combi boiler will normally be larger than the size given by the calculator, so it will be OK for heating as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

That looks like excessive wear on the housing...
2 3
Replies
Views
Many thanks. I'll look into that.
Replies
Views
I always had it in my head that the usgph was...
Replies
Views
So today the 1.65gph nozzle finally arrived...
Replies
Views
Below is a sizing chart based on a heat loss...
Replies
Views
Back