Boiler installed by non-Gas Safe engineer. Are we liable? | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler installed by non-Gas Safe engineer. Are we liable? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote> I've found out the fitting of gas installations is a no mans land, anyone can buy install any gas fittings, boilers or pipe work.
What you cannot do is connect it to a gas supply!<Quote, from Post 17. This quote it is inaccurate. You are not allowed to carryout gas work unless you are competent to do so(Competence = Someone with the relevant Training, qualification and experience). If you are employed or self employed to carryout gas work, then you must be registered with the approved body (GSR at the current time).

Quote>My quest was to find out why, when I need a gas certificate, gas fitters/companies can charge whatever they like, my gas safe certificate cost £88, for less than ten minutes work, the quotes I got were from over £200 down to the £88 I eventually paid.<QUOTE. That is because reputable Gas engineers do not want to sign off none competent gas work. The overhead costs of maintaining competence and registration is substantial and therefore the charge rates will be higher.

Ok. It's the building act 1985. Read that and then answer your own question. Any heat producing appliance must be installed in accordance with the applicable statutory instrument..... For gas I think it's GIUR 1998. But I'm sure when u spoke to the HSE they said all you needed was a pen and a ruler to make your own self certification reort.

The reality is that fitting gas and screwing up is a criminal offence - including
custodial sentances even for 1st offence - CHK

The wake up bit if you are illegally fitting gas will be
in a prison CHK

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I think everyone's agreed that I'm not liable (as the homeowner) but the fitter will be liable?

Thanks.

The legalities of being Gassafe etc have already been covered, but I suspect you'll still believe what you want
As for scrap cylinders and pipe work etc, I tell my customers that they can have whatever they want as long as they remove it, other than that I remove it without charge and keep it, my apprentices are usually very happy with this.These would be the apprentices you say that we don't like employing due to creating more local competition
You need to shut up and wise up and stop being so bitter

Apprentices get taken on all time and out the door just as quick when all they do is smoke, eat, play on the phone, ask what time your finishing repeatedly and are unwilling to do hard work.

sourced from a newly qualified apprentice who got off his backside.

<. <. <. <

In plaster Left leg from ankle - to hip - immobile - stuck on grd floor 4 4 weeks
not a happy bunny - Chk

Apprentices get taken on all time and out the door just as quick when all they do is smoke, eat, play on the phone, ask what time your finishing repeatedly and are unwilling to do hard work.

sourced from a newly qualified apprentice who got off his backside.

<. <. <. <

You've seen our apprentice then? (bar the smoking part :lol: )

In case anyone is interested, GS made a report to the HSE. I haven't heard anything from the HSE. Hopefully they'll be taking action, but who knows. Trading Standards are doing nothing (per a telephone call I had with them), other than writing to him to give him a warning, because they don't have the financial resources to take it further.

So it appears that he may have got away with his illegal trading. Makes you wonder what the point of the legislation is.

In case anyone is interested, GS made a report to the HSE. I haven't heard anything from the HSE. Hopefully they'll be taking action, but who knows. Trading Standards are doing nothing (per a telephone call I had with them), other than writing to him to give him a warning, because they don't have the financial resources to take it further.

So it appears that he may have got away with his illegal trading. Makes you wonder what the point of the legislation is.

Unfortunately (Or indeed fortunately!) no one died as a result so GS and HSE won't be that interested.

Makes you wonder why any of us bother paying our fee's.

alot of these "illegal" engineers are less stupid than me. Stop paying gas safe, carry on fitting to your usual good standard, keep up to date with regulations via google, wont get anything other than a letter telling me to stop being a naughty boy.

alot of these "illegal" engineers are less stupid than me. Stop paying gas safe, carry on fitting to your usual good standard, keep up to date with regulations via google, wont get anything other than a letter telling me to stop being a naughty boy.

AW you knew that anyway, I can read them like a bad book, things are not going to change, like you say not worth much more than a Blue Peter Badge, in fact a BPB might be worth more. You will just have to keep biting the bullet, and paying your money if you want GSR on yoh van! And there are more none GSR fitting boilers than you would care to imagine, they just pop up when something goes wrong early on. Like I said until they only sell boiler to someone with a ticket then it ain't going change, and that's not going to happen either. I have a pilots licence and I have not flown for 6 years, it would cost me about £4000 to become current, same kinda club as yours. At least with your club you can earn some money, good job they don't let just anyone go up in the aircraft hey!!!

My quest was to find out why, when I need a gas certificate, gas fitters/companies can charge whatever they like, my gas safe certificate cost £88, for less than ten minutes work, the quotes I got were from over £200 down to the £88 I eventually paid.

So you are an ''intelligent'' chap, and was quoted btw £88 & £200 for a gas safe certificate. You are proudly telling us that you paid £88 for a service that took 10 mins?

Anyone carrying out a CP12 (gas safe certificate) for 10 mins is not after your safety but after your pocket. Surprised you did not work that one out. And £200, who quoted that? Even Pimlico Plumbers know where to draw the line. I think you are just making this up as you go along. Keep digging yourself in

There's been a guy round here falsely claiming to be Gas Safe and Oftec registered. One of his customers took him to court only to find he was nearly bankrupt and the money obtained by the sale of his seized goods didn't even cover the court costs.

I see the government have taken up your suggestion and decided that 'letters' are the way ahead - especially in the theft of copyrighted material from media sources online!

PowerFlusher2,

Can you elaborate, where's all this come from. I think AW was being a bit off the cuff and didn't really mean that's the way he would go, but I can see his frustration if GSR are just going to sit on their hands and just take you money every 3 or 5 years ??? I still think AW as a point, good plumber, reads books, does all the things that we did 40 years back, ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep tony, I'm wiping lead, applying asbestos lagging to patch up where I tore it off .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

No they just do the address, thank goodness...
Replies
Views
Absolute cock & bull from SGN, think about...
Replies
Views
W
Or £50 for an indemnity policy.
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
L
Reading between the lines, are the RGIs on...
Replies
Views
Back