Boiler internal leak sealant 5 days to set? Help needed! | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler internal leak sealant 5 days to set? Help needed! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joshnathan

We have a boiler loosing pressure and British gas came to look at it. They put some kind of sealant in and said we had to have the heating on full wack for 5 days. This seems a bit ridiculous, expensive and very hot. Is this really necessary? Would 12 hours or a day do?

Thanks
Joshua
Currently dying of heat exhaustion in my flat.

TBH , i haven't and dont think I ever will use that stuff. But that doesnt sound right to me. Somebody maybe along to help shortly

sealant works due to a reaction with air at the leak, u only need to circulate it for a few hours to get it round the system and find the leak. If it doesnt cure it in that time, it never will. I normally get a 50% cure rate when trying it out as a last resort, if it dont work some serious action is needed to find and repair the leak, no matter how hard it is to get to.

Direct from fernox web site. Says 2-24 hours. I think the engineer is just making sure.
Tbh, it's a last resort. But sometimes worthy. Try.
image.jpg

Thanks for the info chalked and lame plumber. They did it yesterday at 2pm and i seem to be holding pressure at the moment but i guess i wont probably know until i turn the heating off and see if it holds pressure after that.

Alpha Man i have a Remeha Avant Plus boiler and 3 large radiators, 1 small and a towel rack.

I only moved into this flat on Saturday so this is all a bit of a bummer.

It seems like everyone is saying the engineer is going to be back for a much bigger job.

Regards,
Josh

Last edited by a moderator:
It will probably last a couple of years. Most likely place for the leak is your boiler on a small system like yours.
It's not the best boiler out there tbh. So start saving for a new one.

It will probably last a couple of years. Most likely place for the leak is your boiler on a small system like yours.
It's not the best boiler out there tbh. So start saving for a new one.

Hi,

Its a rental for the next year whilst we look to buy in the area (sort of testing the area). Thanks for the info though. He is insured as a landlord and has a british gas insurance scheme as well so hopefully a new boiler wont be the end of the world.

As long as it lasts the next year id be happy tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Good job buddy. Rather than a beer, if you’re...
Replies
Views
It's not impossible but I doubt that the...
Replies
Views
I
Yes press the button until there are 2 lights...
2 3
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Thanks mate. Been very lucky, a neighbour...
Replies
Views
Back