Boiler keeps turning on | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler keeps turning on in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Hi there

Some help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Worcester Greenstar 18i boiler with a unvented hot water cylinder. I have two issues with my central heating system:

1. When the hot water is switched on, a few of the radiators get very hot.

2. When the central heating is on, the display on the boiler shows the system temperature. As it heats up, the temperature increases. Once it reaches the desired temp, the boiler stops heating and switches off. The system temp starts to decrease quite quickly and within a few minutes the boiler will start back up again. So essentially, my boiler is constantly turning on every 5 mins or so. Does anyone know what the issue could be?

Thanks in advance!

1. Is very likely a phenomenon known as 'reverse circulation'. This happens if the standard rules for plumbing the system have not been followed and the CH and DWH returns are tapped into the boiler return in the wrong sequence.

2. Is behaviour known as 'short cycling'. It happens when the minimum power the boiler can deliver, around 8kW from memory, is more than can be transferred by the emitter system, usually because the TRVs on most radiators are shut. Tends to affect systems in the autumn and spring when only a couple of kW are needed to keep the house at the correct temperature. The cure, which is known as a buffer tank, is large and relatively expensive so most people live with the problem.

I'd expect the full on-off cycle to be 10 minutes on a Bosch boiler.

Similar plumbing topics

Could be right above the boiler pipework or...
Replies
Views
You will need a check valve to stop reverse...
2 3
Replies
Views
This response doesn't make any sense, as the...
Replies
Views
well, I really cannot see what extra features...
Replies
Views
It could be numerous things, including a flow...
Replies
Views
Back