Boiler kettling…advice please! | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler kettling…advice please! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FrankHarrington

Hi guys,

This is my first post and I'm only recently qualified so... A customer called me to look at their boiler because it is kettling. It is a Potterton kingfisher MF on an s-plan vented system. It is a semi-pumped system, the hw is gravity circulated and ch pumped. It happens intermittently and not until the systems been on for an hour or two. It then starts banging loudly and spitting out the open vent, consequently the overflow also. They had an insurance cover on their ch (don't think bg it was another) and they sent a couple of engineers out who replaced the pump, checked the boiler stat (apparently) and suggested the feed pipe was blocked or the system needs flushing. Im reluctant to carry out an expensive power flush as the system heats up normally, there are no cold rads and the hw works fine. I don't know if its a red herring but the boiler stat sometimes cuts in and out rapidly, although like i said they apparently checked the stat.
Any help much appreciated!!

Frank
Harringtons Heating and Plumbing

I think your heading in the right direction Frank, what could be causing the system to over heat to such a degree that the water in it boils ? because that is what is happening for the water to come out of the open vent when the system is getting up to temperature.
Could it be the C/F blocked ? well if water is being lost out of the O/F then how has the system still got water in it ?
With the other stuff all of which are flow related, you would be looking at how the system was/is heating up, with the gravity side this should tick away with out a problem as a pump is not required, so any restrictions to the flow would cause a rapid rise in the temperature.
So what do you recon it is ?
Welcome to the mad house (forum) by the way.

I have checked the c/f isn't blocked by draining the system to check that the f+e tank emptied which it did normally. I can't see how there can be restrictions in the system as i can feel the heat moving round fine. I have a hunch that it is the thermostat, as theyre relatively cheap I think I'll stick a new one in and see where it gets me. Do you guys think thats a possible cause?

And you obviously don't think its the heat exchanger being scaled up? As that was a possibility I had drawn from reading other threads on here :confused5:

Sorry Frank I though you had got to that point after your / my first posts ? I should have not been so cryptic. I can't see that it could be any thing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Its easy to check for a leak, just tie up the...
Replies
Views
I once had a similar experience with my old...
Replies
Views
You will need a check valve to stop reverse...
2 3
Replies
Views
Yes spot on need to have a look behind the...
Replies
Views
Back