Boiler Leak | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler Leak in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

village idiot

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Went to look at a job today: Fit radiator, fit bidet spray whatever, replace basin, etc.
As I was about to leave customer said: ''Oh, and we need a quote for sorting a boiler leak''.
That left me confused as I had checked boiler area and saw no sign of a leak? What kind of leak, I asked?
''Oh, the chap who fitted the kitchen units thinks there may be a gas leak at the boiler''.
Did he fit the gas hob? No, she says. It is the same old hob.
Well, says I, he would have had to remove old hob, assemble units and worktop before re-fitting old hob.
Probably. says her.

I just walked out and will not be sending a quote

Best to walk away although I would've wanted to investigate and fix there and then at customers cost . Try n leave her safe n well.

Hate when fitters cut corners as this is what happens .they think oh its just a hob il do that.

I'd say if there's an incident now VI, they'll be all over you like a rash for not either sorting it, or making it safe then leaving.

Best to walk away although I would've wanted to investigate and fix there and then at customers cost . Try n leave her safe n well.

I normally don't work past 6pm, except it's a boiler/central heating install. And considering she could only be home after 7:30pm, there is no way I was going to spend my time that late trying to sort her leak.

I'd say if there's an incident now VI, they'll be all over you like a rash for not either sorting it, or making it safe then leaving.

They can dream for all I care. THREE months since fitter refurbished kitchen, Why have they waited this long?
Boiler is fitted in loft conversion. Limited clearances above an below, If I got my hands out of my pocket, there would have been only one outcome

Tigtness then tell em your turning them off, stand there smiling whilst they kick off, ring national grid to cut em off....I dont like odd numbers but 3 off's float my boat.

You have a duty of care VI, ring national grid

I certainly do, but considering I didn't smell gas and only going by what their kitchen installer told them, I was in no mood to play dirty. Chances are he informed them 'he thinks their boiler has a gas leak' as he was not confident he had left the gas supply safe (after cutting into it). He was hoping they'd get someone in to check it out. They did not. The wife is asking me at 8pm to send in a quote that also involves ''Check boiler leak''. I think they are taking the pizzz. Couldn't wait to get out of there.

considering I didn't smell gas.

"I didn't smell gas" will not stand.

I defo see where you are coming from though. But…
Hmmm…
Smell or not smell, the customer is telling you there’s a gas leak (or not). What do we do?

How long does it take to do the TT?
If fail, how long does it take to issue the ID ticket?
How long does it take to cap a meter? Cos you need to go now, that’s fine.
If anything goes proper wrong and nothing of the above has been done, who’s gonna get pulled in?

I defo don’t want any knocks on my door.

Last edited:
GAS LEAK OR NOT GAS LEAK?

TTT.jpg
Sorry, had to do it. :christmaswindow:

Attachments

• TT.jpg
    TT.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
I see your point Alex, but I have no intention of wotkng for FREE just because I have a duty of care. They have a responsibility to ensure they are safe in their house. One of that is to try as much as possible to convince themselves that workmen are up to standard (not always possible, I agree). But when someone tells you they suspect your boiler had a gas leak, and you have to wait THREE months before asking me to quote for a gas leak?
How long is a piece of string?
Quote: 'We don't have enough money now, so you should quote for each item of work individualy so we can decide which we want to do if possible'
Really? I haven't got time for time wasters, especially at this time of year.
Whichever court they take me to, I'm easily going to fight my corner.

I see your point Alex, but I have no intention of wotkng for FREE just because I have a duty of care. They have a responsibility to ensure they are safe in their house. One of that is to try as much as possible to convince themselves that workmen are up to standard (not always possible, I agree). But when someone tells you they suspect your boiler had a gas leak, and you have to wait THREE months before asking me to quote for a gas leak?
How long is a piece of string?
Quote: 'We don't have enough money now, so you should quote for each item of work individualy so we can decide which we want to do if possible'
Really? I haven't got time for time wasters, especially at this time of year.
Whichever court they take me to, I'm easily going to fight my corner.

I wasn't trying to be arsey mate, a man once told me almost every time he saw me.....PYA....always protect your ar5e.
Tell you why I would sort it.... Few years ago my pal got called to quote for a gas hob, went in house thru back door and kitchen fitter was there. He quoted and told the woman she would also need a vent thru the wall and ring when the fitter is ready to install the hob.

Few months went by and he got a letter from Corgi, the kitchen fitter had done the hob himself and she wasn't happy with his work so to get back at him she reported him to Corgi. Corgi visited and whilst there saw signs of spillage round the gas fire, and a thermostat control knob missing on the boiler.....long story short they tried to take my pal to court for not noticing the defects while he was there, in order to get the case cancelled he had to install a vent through the wall at his own cost, service the gas fire and order and fit the thermostat knob. The Corgi guy was a complete and utter Tw4t with him, even though he told him he'd only been in the back door to see the hob he wouldn't let it go and said his duty of care was to look round while he's there.

After seeing that happen I realised how unfair the system can be, my mate almost lost his livelihood, the kitchen fitter got off scot free and the woman got everything done for nowt. PYA mate !! If there is a gas leak and an explosion they'll be up your ar53 like a rat up a drain pipe.

Sorry mate, I personally would have phoned the gas transporter on the way home, got a ref number to prove that I have reported it and left it at that, it would have cost me a couple of quid as phoning from a mobile.

i think if something happens at that address and hope nothing does you will be involved in some way as you were the last rgi across that thresh hold.

Customers have aver the luxury of being ignorant. I don't think any court of law will sympathise with your opinion on the matter. I mean this with respect mate but phone it in

Iphone push lock and menu at same time [emoji90][emoji85][emoji86][emoji87][emoji102][emoji575][emoji573][emoji560][emoji558][emoji565][emoji565][emoji570][emoji570][emoji570][emoji570]

I wasn't trying to be arsey mate, a man once told me almost every time he saw me.....PYA....always protect your ar5e.
Tell you why I would sort it.... Few years ago my pal got called to quote for a gas hob, went in house thru back door and kitchen fitter was there. He quoted and told the woman she would also need a vent thru the wall and ring when the fitter is ready to install the hob.

Few months went by and he got a letter from Corgi, the kitchen fitter had done the hob himself and she wasn't happy with his work so to get back at him she reported him to Corgi. Corgi visited and whilst there saw signs of spillage round the gas fire, and a thermostat control knob missing on the boiler.....long story short they tried to take my pal to court for not noticing the defects while he was there, in order to get the case cancelled he had to install a vent through the wall at his own cost, service the gas fire and order and fit the thermostat knob. The Corgi guy was a complete and utter Tw4t with him, even though he told him he'd only been in the back door to see the hob he wouldn't let it go and said his duty of care was to look round while he's there.

After seeing that happen I realised how unfair the system can be, my mate almost lost his livelihood, the kitchen fitter got off scot free and the woman got everything done for nowt. PYA mate !! If there is a gas leak and an explosion they'll be up your ar53 like a rat up a drain pipe.

I can't believe that,what was he supposed to do push past her and check every room in the house inc.her knicker draw,just because he entered the property for 5 minutes to turn a job down

It's a weird one... It was a hob install quote, not a gas safety check!?

I can't believe that,what was he supposed to do push past her and check every room in the house inc.her knicker draw,just because he entered the property for 5 minutes to turn a job down

Absolutely true mate, I could tell you the Corgi blokes name. I went with him on the second inspection and although there defo was signs of spillage and my mate argued that he can't be held responsible simply because he entered the property, the Corgi guy wouldn't have it, and said in his opinion he should've checked round. I even ended up doing the fire service and core drilled the hole for the vent for my mate. Cost my mate and cost me for half day which I did for him to help out, I actually wondered whether the Corgi guy was flexing his pecs to impress the woman who was single, and a looker. !!

Iphone push lock and menu at same time [emoji90][emoji85][emoji86][emoji87][emoji102][emoji575][emoji573][emoji560][emoji558][emoji565][emoji565][emoji570][emoji570][emoji570][emoji570]

I'm still trying to figure out how to do that on my Samsung :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Fits back on flue on top of boiler
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
Back