Boiler Leak | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler Leak in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't trying to be arsey mate, a man once told me almost every time he saw me.....PYA....always protect your ar5e.
Tell you why I would sort it.... Few years ago my pal got called to quote for a gas hob, went in house thru back door and kitchen fitter was there. He quoted and told the woman she would also need a vent thru the wall and ring when the fitter is ready to install the hob.

Few months went by and he got a letter from Corgi, the kitchen fitter had done the hob himself and she wasn't happy with his work so to get back at him she reported him to Corgi. Corgi visited and whilst there saw signs of spillage round the gas fire, and a thermostat control knob missing on the boiler.....long story short they tried to take my pal to court for not noticing the defects while he was there, in order to get the case cancelled he had to install a vent through the wall at his own cost, service the gas fire and order and fit the thermostat knob. The Corgi guy was a complete and utter Tw4t with him, even though he told him he'd only been in the back door to see the hob he wouldn't let it go and said his duty of care was to look round while he's there.

After seeing that happen I realised how unfair the system can be, my mate almost lost his livelihood, the kitchen fitter got off scot free and the woman got everything done for nowt. PYA mate !! If there is a gas leak and an explosion they'll be up your ar53 like a rat up a drain pipe.

I suppose technically he should of had a look to see what other appliances were in the property and what kW they are so you can make sure pipe sizing is correct. Not that many/ if any people would.

Me personally I would of said take me to court and I bet it wouldn't of got there.

To village idiot though. I would of phoned transco and said smell of gas isolated at the meter taken reference number then left happy. It would only take 2 minutes and you have covered yourself. If there was a leak then transco will shut it off and you will get paid for another call out.

What are you doing going out at 7.30 though? Are you mad? The only time I might consider it would be if it was a call back or something.

To village idiot though. I would of phoned transco and said smell of gas isolated at the meter taken reference number then left happy. It would only take 2 minutes and you have covered yourself. If there was a leak then transco will shut it off and you will get paid for another call out.

What are you doing going out at 7.30 though? Are you mad? The only time I might consider it would be if it was a call back or something.

As I do not normally work weekends, I do attend past 6pm to quote for jobs ('customers who work full time etc')
Went there to quote for something else. BTW Millsy, what customer will pay you for turning off their gas on the basis of a Call Out?

I dont think VI was under any obligation other than to advise the customer that if they smell gas they should report the matter to the ESP. Under the Gas Safety Installation and use regs it is an offence for a person to continue to use equipment which they believe to be dangerous so the duty of care rests with the occupier.

As I do not normally work weekends, I do attend past 6pm to quote for jobs ('customers who work full time etc')
Went there to quote for something else. BTW Millsy, what customer will pay you for turning off their gas on the basis of a Call Out?

Oh no the don't pay you, usually they say - *insert suitable curse*

I dont think VI was under any obligation other than to advise the customer that if they smell gas they should report the matter to the ESP. Under the Gas Safety Installation and use regs it is an offence for a person to continue to use equipment which they believe to be dangerous so the duty of care rests with the occupier.

i disagree with with that mate, whatever reason I've gone there and the op says it was for a quote. After ahah I personally would have asked her does she personally smell gas (as everyone sense of smell is different)

Sorry I pad playing up. I means does she smell gas, if no I still would have done a let by and tightness test if they let me, if they wouldn't phone it in to esp etc

Apologies just realised I already posted on this thread, I'm not being argumentative, double post that's all

best way out is say you dont have the right equipment with you phone the 0800 number and get a reference we cant be on call 24/7 if you was in a resturant and smelt gas in the corridoor to the toilet what do you do then?

As far as I am concerned, my duty of care has to fall within reason. A customer cannot request that I attenx to quote for a job, then on my way out say; 'Oh, when you send us your quote, also quote for gas leak'. When I ask why? I am then told that: 'Kitchen fitter thinks there is gas leAk at boiler'.
Bear in mind that boiler is located in loft (now loft conversion) and kitchen is two floors down. What is the relationship? When I asked when they were given the information, I was told THREE months ago. So if the said customer couldn't care less about their welfare, who am I to play God with their lives? I have no intention to work for free.

Post this thread on a solicitors forum with the scenario that a gas escape at that property caused injury and you were the last rgi to attend, would you be liable for prosecution or compensation. If there's no chance in hell, no problem

...what customer will pay you for turning off their gas on the basis of a Call Out?

I’ve been kicked out of a house once without a pay, cos I know about gas "a bit more" than a “I can do it all” house owner. I did have all my gas tools and paperwork with me, but I had to go. Simple call to 0800 111 999 put it straight for me, got a ref # and I could sleep much better. I’m not worried about the pay at all.

If a customer is a bit slow to use the phone when there’s a gas leak (or not), one should help and tell them – OK, there’s nothing I can do today (for whatever reason) but I know just the people who can sort you out and just call the 0800 number. Easy!

I really thought we are done with this leak!

Sorry another story....

working for ha, tnt complained over the past 2 years the smell of gas, to family, council, wrote letters and e mails, nominated contractors etc, numerous visits. Meter in cupboard, me no smell of gas, asked TNT she said not at moment but this morNing yes. Let by and tightness test perfect, ldf used checked history as had been on every visit by rgi o mbar drop

Phoned esp, attended got ref number hung around for the guy. Out comes gas co, no detection, felt a twonk but explained the situation, closed cupboard door cup of tea. He checked again, no smell, got the house brick out checked everything suddenly goes off. It was the anaconda.

Yes you can argue that passed tightness test, that it was service providers anaconda. If something happened, a possible corpse and along paper trail left behind of this TNT complaining the smell of gas.

i have no doubt in my mind that I would have been the first person in the dock as I was the last person to attend and some high flying barrister would be nailing me to the cross if I didn't register my concerns with esp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Fits back on flue on top of boiler
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
Back