boiler losing pressure - ch pipes not leaking. | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss boiler losing pressure - ch pipes not leaking. in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Priority checks:
Leaking rad valves
Expansion vessel
Leak on boiler
PRV
Leaking pipe work (usually compression joints)
Nitrogen leaving system
Air ingress

That's it I think :)

The 2 FI-C elbows on that cylinder look like they have had leaks around them.

If they leak at 70c, your gas test won't detect it if tested cold.

Leak on the primary coil in the hot water cylinder is another thing worth checking cheers kop

Pump some food colouring in the heating system via the filling loop if its shows up in the hotwater then bingo flush out do repairs . cheers kop

Pump some food colouring in the heating system via the filling loop if its shows up in the hotwater then bingo flush out do repairs . cheers kop

cheers kop. done it... but we are pressure testing the ch loop till wednesday, so if no drop from 2bar we will open up the flow and return and run the system... hope to see yellow hot water :)
I take it that if the engineer had the boiler open and tested it cold he would not see if the heat exchanger is faulty ???

Can you loose pressure through an unvented coil from a sealed CH system? I always thought the pressure on the main side of the cylinder being 3bar would if anything over pressurise the CH system an discharge via the PRV as the CH system pressure would only be around 1-1.5 as opposed the 3-3.5 in the cylinder? I'm genuinely curious as I would like to know if I'm wrong no discredit to other people's suggestions

Can you loose pressure through an unvented coil from a sealed CH system? I always thought the pressure on the main side of the cylinder being 3bar would if anything over pressurise the CH system an discharge via the PRV as the CH system pressure would only be around 1-1.5 as opposed the 3-3.5 in the cylinder? I'm genuinely curious as I would like to know if I'm wrong no discredit to other people's suggestions

Your reasoning is correct.

However, it wasn't clear from the original post whether the system was vented or unvented and it's easy to miss such details when they are buried in a thread of more than 30 posts.

Yeah it's a fair shout. But what your talking about there is static pressure. As soon as you open a tap now you've dynamic pressure, which is less by about half.
So when you open a hot tap you may see the boiler pressure (heating circuit) fall and then when the hot tap is closed you may see the boiler pressure rise :)

Your reasoning is correct.

However, it wasn't clear from the original post whether the system was vented or unvented and it's easy to miss such details when they are buried in a thread of more than 30 posts.
I weren't meaning to sound rude,I was more worried I didn't know something that more experienced guys did. It was the OP's pic with the cylinder an the potable water expansion vessel with the PRV terminating into some sort of plant pot that made me assume it was unvented.

Yeah it's a fair shout. But what your talking about there is static pressure. As soon as you open a tap now you've dynamic pressure, which is less by about half.
So when you open a hot tap you may see the boiler pressure (heating circuit) fall and then when the hot tap is closed you may see the boiler pressure rise :)
cheers Dan, I wouldn't of even thought of that. I'm new to this an still gaining experience but thanks for explaining

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Ok great...really hoping it wasn't a leak.
Replies
Views
Again, ongoing thanks. I'll have to get to my...
Replies
Views
P
Doesn't matter, mod will remove or close it.
Replies
Views
the op says no water in prv balloon so not prv...
Replies
Views
Np Simon. Hoping to get the boiler engineer...
Replies
Views
Back