Boiler MI's | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler MI's in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gaspastemania

Over the past 12 months i'm getting more and more calls from custards regarding work on boiler faults , no heating /hot water etc etc . Usually i just stick to installs and due to recession im starting to do works on faulty appliances.
My problem is due to the fact my usual worload is installation based my breakdown experience is limited.Without the boiler MI's i usually stuggle to find fault so end up phoning friend to come and take a look .
My question is can you self train without boiler MI's if so how long till competent or is it a case of 'ANOTHER COURSE'???

get yourself on a few manufacturer's courses, youle learn alot on the reakdown side of things

speak to your local manufactuere reps, or give them a call, imho.

Yes you can, i made the same leap. It's hard at first, and you will make silly mistakes and miss the obvious, stand in front of a boiler with the customer behind you, and wish the ground would open up etc etc etc..... Competence comes when you learn to take a step back and work logically, never take anything for granted, and try to think outside the box. Best thing i ever did, i love the job, installing wore me down over the years :( especially the knees!

IMHO manufacturers courses are useful, but tend to concentrate on current models, which are the least likely boilers you will find yourself working on.
Honywell course is good for conventional systems, wiring problem solving etc.

CD's are readily available with all the MI's on for little outlay. As a last resort you can phone the relevent technical departments, and of course it helps if you can phone a friend!! or two;)

Iv'e found that there a large percentage of common faults, and a smaller number of uncommon, head scrathing type faults.:confused:

You also have to accept you can't win em all, and a small number of boilers/sytems will beat you.

Good luck if you do decide to take the plunge:D

if at first you dont succeed and its a ferroli, get it replaced:)

its the only one thats beaten me thus far and it was knackered.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Don't know if there are older / newer versions...
Replies
Views
If you are thinking about installing pv panels...
Replies
Views
I
Yes press the button until there are 2 lights...
2 3
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
N
  • Article
grade B ld1 conventional fire detection system...
Replies
Views
Nelly72
N
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
Back