Boiler pressure question | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler pressure question in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
So does it not hurt the boiler to keep topping it up?

Its not ideal is it, theres obviously a problem that needs addressing.

Topping up wont hurt anything. It needs to be around 1.5 bar try and keep it there. 2 bar really should be a limit as if it goes much higher the PRV safety device on your boiler will kick in and expel water from your system. The problem with this is that sometimes those valves can get debris on the seal which stops them closing correctly when the pressure drops back down and makes more problems.

Its not ideal is it, theres obviously a problem that needs addressing.

Topping up wont hurt anything. It needs to be around 1.5 bar try and keep it there. 2 bar really should be a limit as if it goes much higher the PRV safety device on your boiler will kick in and expel water from your system. The problem with this is that sometimes those valves can get debris on the seal which stops them closing correctly when the pressure drops back down and makes more problems.
Why does it need to be around 1.5 Bar ? It's a two storey house isn't it ?

Why does it need to be around 1.5 Bar ? It's a two storey house isn't it ?

Yes Chris, what are you saying here? Don't you need 1.5 bar in a two bed house then?

It will work lower than that yes. But 1.5 bar is a standard operating pressure.

About 1.0 cold. Then depends on size of system and correctly sized expansion vessel. But i wouldnt want see a massive rise in pressure as you are over stressing the ev and will lead to premature failure.

OK to be technical then, a pressure of 1.0 to 1.5 bar is required. On the Ideal logic a drop in pressure below 0.3bar will stop the boiler operating.

About 1.0 cold. Then depends on size of system and correctly sized expansion vessel. But i wouldnt want see a massive rise in pressure as you are over stressing the ev and will lead to premature failure.

So could I be damaging my system then? I'm at about half a bar cold, maybe little higher and it goes up to about 1.8 ish when heating is on.

OK to be technical then, a pressure of 1.0 to 1.5 bar is required. On the Ideal logic a drop in pressure below 0.3bar will stop the boiler operating.
I am not having a go acecharly, it is just that it is not just as simple as setting it between "this & that pressure"
Could your Ideal Logic be installed in the basement of a 5 storey house ? or would you still put your 1.5 Bar in, if it was installed in the loft ??

If you keep on adding water to the system you are essentially adding oxygenated water which won't help in keeping the system clean. It will use the oxygen to corrode your heating system and render the inhibitor useless. This of course won't happen overnight but may eventually invalidate your warranty due to a dirty system.

If you keep on adding water to the system you are essentially adding oxygenated water which won't help in keeping the system clean. It will use the oxygen to corrode your heating system and render the inhibitor useless. This of course won't happen overnight but may eventually invalidate your warranty due to a dirty system.

Thanks for the advice, I won't top it up anymore, like I say it settles at just above half a bar when cold never any lower and the boiler works fine. It says in instructions that it will only not operate under 0.3 bar.

I will get it looked at as I am shopping round for good price etc but for now I won't top it up if it's going to harm my new boiler.

Thanks for the advice, I won't top it up anymore, like I say it settles at just above half a bar when cold never any lower and the boiler works fine. It says in instructions that it will only not operate under 0.3 bar.

I will get it looked at as I am shopping round for good price etc but for now I won't top it up if it's going to harm my new boiler.

Use a forum member imho, we give our time to help each other and homeowners such as yourselves so you know you'll get good service and get it sorted.

id give atlas the chance

Oh I have no doubt mate at all I have appreciated the advice from everyone.

You've had a boiler fitted to a system you knew to be leaking. Did you tell the installer this or did he promise to repair the leak?

You need it sorting either way. Fresh water will only damage your system

You've had a boiler fitted to a system you knew to be leaking. Did you tell the installer this or did he promise to repair the leak?

You need it sorting either way. Fresh water will only damage your system

Well no i never had to top it up as always just left it at half a bar which is what I will do until I get it looked at

Ok just an update, put tissue round radiator valves last night all of them and this morning one of them is soaked. I mean totally. Could this be the cause?

I am not having a go acecharly, it is just that it is not just as simple as setting it between "this & that pressure"
Could your Ideal Logic be installed in the basement of a 5 storey house ? or would you still put your 1.5 Bar in, if it was installed in the loft ??

I never took offence Chris was just basing the answer on a 2 bed house with 7 rads and never considered it being 5 storeys high lol saying that even if it was i do not think it would require more pressure. As a system gets bigger you would need more room for expansion though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Np Simon. Hoping to get the boiler engineer...
Replies
Views
That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
the pressure of my boiler looks unstable...
Replies
Views
You might have a EV (expansion vessel)...
Replies
Views
Thanks for the reply, I’ll try your...
Replies
Views
Back