Boiler problem!! | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler problem!! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

I'm sorry if this is a 'how long is a piece of string' question. I've got a Glow Worm Hideaway 80 boiler that is providing CH and DHW via an indirect open vented system. The boiler which is 16-17 years old and never had any previous problems has started to play up. Cutting out after a very short time before it's even started to heat up all of the radiators. After a while the boiler cools down then restarts. But before it's even heated the radiators at the furthest end of the run it cuts out again. I've got a Danfoss programmable thermostat in the system that's calling for heat through out the time.

I live in a three bedroom dormer bungalow, two bathrooms. 9 double sized radiators and reasonable levels of insulation.

In the lounge I've got a Clearview Vision wood burning stove with a 10,000 btu back boiler connected to the open vented system via a H2 panel. The 2 rads in the lounge are never on and the 2 rads in the upstairs bed room are only on occasionally.

My questions are is the Glow Worm a good boiler, likely to give more long years of service if I throw some money at it or is this the end of the line.

If it's time for a new boiler I've read good things on here about Intergas boilers and see that they do an open vent boiler that looks as though it might be right for my system. Will it go into the same place as the Glow Worm? Floor mounted under the kitchen work top. Is it pretty well a straight swop for an Intergas technician or will it be a lot of work to make it fit?

Is there a better boiler for my situation?

Many thanks

hi ,

To be honest boiler has done its work and lasted as you said 16 years , It has come to the time where you will be better of with new uni on the wall rather then spending money and trying to get the old boy going .......

hi ,

To be honest boiler has done its work and lasted as you said 16 years , It has come to the time where you will be better of with new uni on the wall rather then spending money and trying to get the old boy going .......

Install ideal logic heat only ( open vent) under worktop, it's wall hung not floor standing . From sounds of it 15 - 18 kW will be fine ?

You may find that you will need to replace more than just the boiler ! have you got a fully pumped system ?

My suggestion will e a porerton floor standing heat only or install boiler OVER the kitchen work top heat only Worcester Bosch boiler !
If you need a plumber to do the work please list your location and a local to you member will visit to give you your best options and submit a quote

i doubt if your problem is the boiler more likly to be pump or system problems the fact it lights and runs for a period of time indicates it doing what it should problem sounds like the heat isnt getting away from the boiler and it shuts down when it reaches temerature
these are very simple boilers and i would keep it as long as you can infact provided you can get parts i would only ditch it when it leaks

Hi All

Is there a better boiler for my situation?

Many thanks

I'm a great fan of intergas boilers but before I will commit to recommending any boiler I need to look at a job. You will get loads of different opinions as to which boiler is best all down to personal choice.

Intergas are great on old systems due to the large diameter pipes in the heat exchanger but they are not always the best in every situation.

well posted stevetheplumber - go for the pump 1st - if you do need parts for your boiler

Ignite Heat Spares will be able to provide most --- CHK
i doubt if your problem is the boiler more likly to be pump or system problems the fact it lights and runs for a period of time indicates it doing what it should problem sounds like the heat isnt getting away from the boiler and it shuts down when it reaches temerature
these are very simple boilers and i would keep it as long as you can infact provided you can get parts i would only ditch it when it leaks

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

To be honest the servicing has got bit lost! it's about 4 years since the last one.

It is a fully pumped system. The pump is on the H2 panel, fitted last summer, that is working, it's cutting in and out as the wood burner heats up. It also comes on when the gas boiler lights. The gas boiler/ CH side had been working up until about a week ago but the wood burner heats most of the HW, but I presume the gas boiler would be cutting out on HW side of things as well.

Hi All

I'm sorry if I have wasted anyone's time but I have sorted this now, turns out I must have been having one of those moments!!

I had been increasing the insulation especially in the two rooms which are at the end of the radiator runs, which is where the programmable thermostat is. As a result, I had been turning these radiators down and inadvertently turned them off so the boiler could never fulfil the call for heat and was switching itself off.

Thanks to all for your help.

We all like happy endings - thank you CHK
Hi All

I'm sorry if I have wasted anyone's time but I have sorted this now, turns out I must have been having one of those moments!!

I had been increasing the insulation especially in the two rooms which are at the end of the radiator runs, which is where the programmable thermostat is. As a result, I had been turning these radiators down and inadvertently turned them off so the boiler could never fulfil the call for heat and was switching itself off.

Thanks to all for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks for both replies - so the search is on...
Replies
Views
I once had a similar experience with my old...
Replies
Views
D
H2 with combi and stove? Combi sealed system...
Replies
Views
That looks like excessive wear on the housing...
2 3
Replies
Views
Back