boiler pump not strong enough? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss boiler pump not strong enough? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daveeg

Hi Guys:)

I went to see a job this week the client said an gas engineer had replaced her boiler over a year ago but it has never worked properly since. This is a large house with 4 floors the 3rd and 4th floor heating is luke warm and never really heats up since new boiler was installed. Apparently the engineer swapped like for like(Keston qudos 28s). over the last year there has been 6 keston engineers and multiple visits from the installer. She called me to see if i could shine light on the situation.

First thing i noticed was the pump head on the keston is 6m but the radiators on top floor measure 9 m.

There is 14 column radiators and a 162 litre cylinder, boiler is in basement so is pumping up with a lot of bends,also only 22mm flow and returns.

Any ideas?

is the boiler powerful enough?
can i install an additional pump?
do they make domestic 9m pumps?

many thanks

david

HWOS do an 8m for about 85 I think it is, just slightly longer than a standard 6m.

do you get problems when running two pumps on the same system? what if the external pump is stronger than the boiler pump will it have a reaction?
thanks for reply

I had to do this on a job not too far away. They added a number of cat iron column rads on a system boiler. Fitted the 8m pump under the boiler, wired from the existing pump and took the impeller out of the internal pump.

Ideally I would have wanted to zone it and have a pump on each zone but the building was over 200 years old and it would have been a nightmare.

Last edited:
do you get problems when running two pumps on the same system? what if the external pump is stronger than the boiler pump will it have a reaction?
thanks for reply

Use a low loss header to overcome this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Pump/feed/expansion are piped/in wrong...
Replies
Views
@ShaunCorbs - the heating engineer who will be...
Replies
Views
You will need a check valve to stop reverse...
2 3
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Is it fully decorated? / can you get at the...
Replies
Views
Back