Boiler Repair Work - Fair Enough or Rip Off? | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler Repair Work - Fair Enough or Rip Off? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I would do is send a cheque for £540 and refuse his first request for more money. Even £540 is bit steep. Note the "reasonable rate" from Trading Standards.

Note that he seems happy enough to negotiate and you might find he'll drop further (to £540) without hassle. It's still a good payment for him - just not as much as he thought he'd get away with.

My personal opinion is pay him the £690. Looking at all you have said in your latest post it seems that is fair. Next time get a quote and guarantee on repair work or just get vallaint out. You have both met half way so this seems fair but just my opinion. Hope everything works out

OK, to wrap up, I sent him a cheque for £540, the total cost not including labour for the 2nd callout with a letter explaining my reasons. Those reasons were based on advice from Trading standards to see what others would charge for the same work - 2 plumbing companies I called said they wouldnt charge labour on the 2nd callout and and the general consensus here was the same.

Thanks again for your advice, I'll let you know if I get taken to small claims !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
P
Tricky situation for you. Boiler shouldn't...
Replies
Views
Sounds like you have found a blockage, if so...
Replies
Views
RobinA
R
Good job buddy. Rather than a beer, if you’re...
Replies
Views
Sounds like he was in too deep. At least he...
Replies
Views
Back