Boiler Replacement - Reasonable Cost? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler Replacement - Reasonable Cost? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plumber123

Hi all

Apologies as I am a newly registered member. I have a question for all the experts on this forum. My old boiler broke down. Given all the new regulations coming in at the end of the year and the fact that the old boiler can't find replacement parts, I got a quote from a local plumber on replacing the boiler.

He quoted an estimate of 3267 pounds. The job list is below. Do you think it is a reasonable cost? My flat is based in London (Zone 2) on the 4th floor of a residential development.

Erect a scaffold to facilitate removal of existing flue (4 storey)
Remove existing redundant boiler (parts unavailable) -
Remove existing hot-water storage unit + controls
Supply + fit 30 kw Combination boiler in existing cupboard + connect to existing radiators
Supply + fit scale reducer to mains water supply
Supply + fit Fernox TF1 magnetic cleaner to heating system
Test + commission in accordance manufactuer specification
Supply + fit access panels as necessary
All redundant parts to be disposed by plumber

Many thanks for all your help as this is the first time I am replacing my boiler.

Sounds very reasonable to me but have you had any other quotes? It's always worth getting two or three quotes unless you know the heating engineer and want him/her to do the work.

Does the quote not state what make and model of boiler you are getting? If that's for a top end boiler I'd say it was great value at that price.

what is the old boiler?
what is the quoted new boiler?

its quite hard to comment on the price really without knowing the full job and materials needed as labour and materials are the two big costs. It does sound like a good price based on the limited information.

There is a member from London on here who may be able to help you out
His name on here is
SAFE GAS INSTALL
(Stan)

The best advice is to get at least two more quotes, and to look at all aspects of what you will be getting for your money. An important 'value for money' issue being the length of the warranty on the boiler, which can vary from 1 to 10 years.

For example, help-link will fit (straightforward swap over) a Worcester Bosch Greenstar boiler for around £2000, and the boiler comes with a 10 year manufacturer's warranty.

Central Heating Systems & Boilers | Help-Link.co.uk

British Gas are likely to charge around twice as much to fit the same WB boiler, and the boiler comes with only a 1 year warranty.

Both companies will of course argue that their prices are "reasonable", so the best thing for any consumer to do is to work out what you are going to get for your money.

Your installation has the added complexity of height and access, so you really do need someone to weigh up all aspects of the job to get an accurate quote, but don't forget to ask about length of warranty because that can save you a lot of money in the longer term, e.g. why pay £15 - £20 a month for boiler cover when you can get any problems arising dealt with under warranty.

i a quote m also in London so depending where you are i can give you a quote for the work stan is west London i'm in east

Hi all, many thanks for responding to my post. This plumber was recommended by the porter and the porter said this plumber is used to our development and replacing boilers. It is my first time actually contacting a plumber. Given his experience of the flats, I was inclined to use him but I don't know him and wasnt sure on the quote at all.

I have asked the plumber on the additional queries and will report back once he has responded.

The old boiler was a Maxol microturbo 402/502.

Many thanks again for responding. Will report back.

Last edited by a moderator:
The old boiler was a Maxol microturbo 402/502.

Hi

I remember those boilers - they weren't particularly good, but if my memory serves, they had two selling points - firstly they were absolutely tiny, and secondly they would support very long flue runs with lots of bends. IIRC, it was a 40m max on twin pipe. At the time, not many boilers would do this, so it tended to get used in applications where the boiler site was restricted, and the flue run was complex.

If this is the case in your apartment, (for instance if the boiler is sited on an inside wall, and the flue runs miles to an external wall), it may complicate the job, and therefore push the price up.

Ray

Hi all, the plumber reported back with the queries. He said:

Boiler will be Keston C30 as it is the only type to use realistically for this installation.
Warranty is 2 years parts and labour.
Boiler with flue and accessories is approx 1500.
Scaffold tower is 750.
Access panels is 6 x 25 pounds.
Installation and disposal will take 2 days with 2 men.
Installation of panels will take 1 day.

Does the above affirm or change your opinion on whether the cost is reasonable? Thank you again for all your help. As side information, the boiler is located in a closet where all walls are internal walls (ie the closet is not next to a outside wall). My flat is in E14.

Hi all, the plumber reported back with the queries. He said:

Boiler will be Keston C30 as it is the only type to use realistically for this installation.
Boiler with flue and accessories is approx 1500.
Scaffold tower is 750.
Access panels is 6 x 25 pounds.
Installation and disposal will take 2 days with 2 men.
Installation of panels will take 1 day.

Does the above affirm or change your opinion on whether the cost is reasonable? Thank you again for all your help. As side information, the boiler is located in a closet where all walls are internal walls (ie the closet is not next to a outside wall). My flat is in E14.

I would say no! To the Keston.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I should add there is a benefit of using the keston in that it retains the ability to use 'waste pipe' as a flue/air ducts and can have incredibaly long runs.

According to the [DLMURL="http://www.keston.co.uk/our-products/c-range/30c/"]Keston website[/DLMURL], warranty is 3 years, parts and labour

I should add there is a benefit of using the keston in that it retains the ability to use 'waste pipe' as a flue/air ducts and can have incredibaly long runs.

I reckon thats the issue. The OP's original was a Maxol microturbo which used a similar system, although I think it was metal 40mm twin pipe - it looked like vacuum cleaner tubes. You could go miles with it. Of course, it wouldn't have been condensing in those days.

Does that not apply to the Logic then? The specs given for flues on their site look favourable:-

[DLMURL="http://www.idealheating.com/products/logic-combi-plus.php"]Logic+ Boiler - Combination Boilers - Ideal Heating[/DLMURL] (Click on: 'pipes and flues' for details)

Externally, it looks to be exactly the same boiler as the Keston.

Because it is the same boiler, ideal bought Keston a while back, flues are different though ideals use 'normal concentric' flues.

Because it is the same boiler, ideal bought Keston a while back, flues are different though ideals use 'normal concentric' flues.

Pity, the Logic sells for considerably less and with a 7 year warranty against the 3 yr on the Keston.

No specific mention of cleaning existing system unless this is covered by test and commission in accordance with manufacturer specification.Important from boiler warranty point of view.It sounds as if it has been in some time.New.more efficient rads.might be worth considering.

Make sure the tradesmen are Gas Safe registered.

Make sure your separate quotes are like for like before comparing

Cleaning system is part of a standard install procedure but check to make sure the tech isn't cutting corners.

Last edited:
Apologies for the delay in posting back. Many thanks again for responding and providing more guidance. It does seem that my flat has some long runs given the previous use of the Maxol and now the suggested use of the Keston. Yes he is gas safe registered. I am going to check on the warranty and the cleaning system (I didn't realise the cleaning system is part of the installation).

Thank you again.

Apologies for the delay in posting back. Many thanks again for responding and providing more guidance. It does seem that my flat has some long runs given the previous use of the Maxol and now the suggested use of the Keston. Yes he is gas safe registered. I am going to check on the warranty and the cleaning system (I didn't realise the cleaning system is part of the installation).

Thank you again.

Ask your plumber if you could use this Ideal Logic boiler - according to the spec it will support flue runs of around 8m - 22m powered.

Word has it that it's the same boiler as the Keston, but may not support very long flue runs.

It's quite a bit cheaper than the Keston, and comes with a 7 year warranty, so worth looking into.

[DLMURL="http://www.idealheating.com/products/logic-combi-plus.php"]Logic+ Boiler - Combination Boilers - Ideal Heating[/DLMURL] (click on 'pipes and flues' for maximum run details)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, approx. 2-3 hours.
Replies
Views
Thanks for this, much appreciated. Andrew
Replies
Views
LastPlumber's view makes sense. Anyway this...
Replies
Views
hi, no current pipework in concrete i believe...
Replies
Views
Good job buddy. Rather than a beer, if you’re...
Replies
Views
Back