Boiler Replacement - Reasonable Cost? | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler Replacement - Reasonable Cost? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Systems must be cleaned prior to boiler installation as you don't want any dross in an existing system fouling up a brand new boiler. You will also find this a stipulation in the Gas Safe Regs and also the boiler warranty conditions.

Hi All,
- BG worth a shout as they are a good "don't pay over this benchmark"
- Reading the earlier posts are you moving from open vented to pressurised CH system? What guarantees has the plumber mentioned on your rads/valves. Is a power flush included?

slightly off-topic
- do all new installs have be condensor, not combi, or have i been mislead?

Use BG If you're happy paying BG prices!

If your rad valves and lockshields are old it's well worth changing them as they could leak.

An install needs to be up to building regs which means TRVs on all radiators except the one near the room thermostat, Room thermostat and cyllinder thermostat if it's a conventional boiler.

All boilers are condensing boilers now. There may be an odd non-condensing boiler in old stock but they aren't allowed for domestic now and in any case getting one would be like buying a black and white TV.

Combi or system boiler is your choice.

I'm not a plumber but have a Keston C36 for similar reasons (long flue run due to siting of boiler). A few observations;

- If you need scaffolding that can really add-up. I've just got a quote for £1300 to scaffold our building to paint it (4 stories victorian).
- Since installing the Keston I've read lots of negative forum comments on them. I've looked for alternatives but there's not a lot... I did see that Baxi and some of the more 'liked' boilers can have a twin-flue arrangement fitted to accommodate longer flue runs. It'd be interesting if a plumber with experience of this was able to comment.
- In the 4.5 years that I've had the Keston, I've had to replace some seals once and am in the process of replacing a fan and expansion vessel, both of which failed in the last 3 months. Not sure if that's good or bad - just putting it out there.
- Speaking to a Keston plumber recently who's worked on Kestons for over 10 years I asked him about their bad reputation. He admitted that they weren't as robust as they could be when compared to Vaillant etc, but that generally if they were properly serviced they were generally ok. He works on them day in-day out and said that he'd recommended and installed them for family. Again not sure if that's worth anything but it's an interesting opinion

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, approx. 2-3 hours.
Replies
Views
Thanks for this, much appreciated. Andrew
Replies
Views
LastPlumber's view makes sense. Anyway this...
Replies
Views
hi, no current pipework in concrete i believe...
Replies
Views
Good job buddy. Rather than a beer, if you’re...
Replies
Views
Back