Boiler sizing | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler sizing in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordyjordy111

Gas Engineer
Hi all

was just wondering how everyone sized there boilers....

I normally do combis on hot water flow rate and conventional boilers/hw cylinder on whats already there (if customer is happy with the output of the existing one then why not)

there are a lot of methods but was just wondering what people have used successfully....

also do you use a rule of thumb ie

5 bed 30
4 bed 28
3 bed 24 etc

cheers

Combi hot water requirement

Conventional I do it properly and use the whole house sizing method.

As Mike says use the whole house boiler sizing method, you can search the web for a calculator.

thanks for your reply

can you expand on the whole house sizing method... links how you do it etc

I bought the cibse design guide but it seems to oversize

The whole house sizing method is liable to get you very unhappy customers and lots of complaints on a boiler swap.
You need to go with whatever is fitted by the output of the existing rads.

The whole house method works for new installs but might still leave your customers unhappy. I individually size the rads to the rooms based on heatloss and the boiler to suit not some concocted measure around the house method.

People will never complain they are too warm but they will if they are too cold.

I always do whole house sizing method on conventional systems and have never had a problem.
If its borderline I consider going up a size ( could they get an extension ).
Got an 837 in my pokey house with a WORKING Pressure of 3.5 bar on the mains. A combi has to be sized on DHW.

Btw how can manu's justify the price difference on boilers for basically speeding the fan up?
That one really p issesme off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

C
Seems reasonable but I'd still rather have...
Replies
Views
System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
Because it will adjust the boiler to the...
Replies
Views
It doesn't have a thermostat and the cylinder...
Replies
Views
You will need a check valve to stop reverse...
2 3
Replies
Views
Back