Boiler Stove :: Issue with consistency | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler Stove :: Issue with consistency in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
peteheat, do a google search for Stratford Ecoboiler -operating-and-installation-manual.

it's the stove i have just fitted. It has four boiler tappings just like your boiler stove and installation with all safety features are displayed diagramatically on pages 15/16.
Like yourself I connected it up without a heat loading valve so I am bitterly familiar with that heart sinking feeling of cold radiators and this is a 30 kilowatt stove! I bought the esbe vtc 512 from stoves online for just over £100. I can tell you that was £100 well spent! Went from cold rads to rads i was too frightened to touch. I'm trying to think of a suitable analogy. Without the heat loading valve (don't have to go for a fancy one with built in pumps - i purchased a £40 pump from e-bay) it was like trying to heat a five bedroom house with tea lights. The problem with wood fired boilers is that, besides the condensation issues associated with fire being over cooled with cold radiator return, the fire dies down very quickly. Hence the firebox never gets up to temp to heat the stove body let alone the rest of the house. This leads to wasted fuel, a cold house and misery! The esbe valve or any suitable equivalent doesn't allow a drop of cold water into the stove or a drop of water out unless water inside boiler is >60C and opens fully when water is 70C. As fire dies down naturally, boiler stove still remains HOT but exports smaller volumes of HOT water into central heating circuit.After installing the esbe, a pump and check valves the stove easily takes on the 5 bed house without the gas boiler firing up at all. Not only this but it gets the rads much hotter than the 50kw gas boiler ever did - (radiator trv's are a must).

I do wish you luck but can't over emphasize the satisfaction I now feel, knowing that all the expense I have been through Is justified and I have a boiler stove that does the job I bought it for and hopefully will continue to save me money for many years to come.

sorry, last post should have been addressed to Spudney, not peteheat (i'm new to forums) lol

Thank God I sold my last one of those stoves two years ago, I am just outside Dublin sell and install solid fuel as well as other things heating related.

What similar stove would you have suggested?

Also what would you have charged to install, how is €400 a day cheap for a plumber and sidekick?

I got 5 quotes for this job and all suggested doing this way and they were guys with 25+ years of experience? are Irish plumbers that bad?

My plumber is coming back this evening and recons its air in the system or a broken valve, his words not mine so i will have to wait see, this did all work for the first two days but then the rads stopped heating up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Also what would you have charged to install, how is €400 a day cheap for a plumber and sidekick?

I got 5 quotes for this job and all suggested doing this way and they were guys with 25+ years of experience? are Irish plumbers that bad?

My plumber is coming back this evening and recons its air in the system or a broken valve, his words not mine so i will have to wait see, this did all work for the first two days but then the rads stopped heating up.

My choice for the Dublin market are Hunter, stratford ecoboiler etc, the reason being the grates are designed to burn coal which tends to be the fuel easiest available in Dublin.

My rates are private between me and the customer has been that way for over thirty years in business, I know somethings should change but I find that customers prefer the privacy as well as me.

Please bear in mind that we have seen very little of the installation, your plumber should know the job he did better than any of us as we are working off two photos and a brief description of the work carried out.

Hope all goes well for you.

No I have seen some great Irish plumbers but unfortunately there really is a lot of awful ones too imho

No I have seen some great Irish plumbers but unfortunately there really is a lot of awful ones too imho

Mybe my Irish plumber isnt so bad after all, he came round this evening and stayed with us while the stove heated up and discovered that replacing a faulty valve and a faulty pipe stat have fixed all our issues.

Issue one was no hot water when kerosene was on but the new valve fixed that, the hot water was being stoped entering the coil hence no hot water in cylinder, easy fix.

The second was a faulty pipe stat (IMIT orange one, replaced with like IMIT) on the boiler inflow (hot) and now i have 12 piping hot rads (not far off kerosene hot) needless to say im delighted and panicked too early, too many horror stories online me thinks!!

Thanks guys for all your help and suggestions, im now nice and toasty :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

D
H2 with combi and stove? Combi sealed system...
Replies
Views
Hi , At the risk of hijacking this thread I am...
Replies
Views
steve wake
S
I started a long winded response but deleted...
Replies
Views
One thing I might add. We too are in a similar...
Replies
Views
Are you controlling the stove flow temperature...
Replies
Views
Back