Boiler swap | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler swap in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Jackson

Started a boiler swap today. Ideal Classic with a horizontal flue out, Intergas with a vertical flue going in. Replace 6 rads, TRVs to all rads bar one, new pump and magnaclean. Decided to take some pictures of the install so here's day one.

First Job protect the new carpets.

RIMG0001 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

RIMG0002 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

RIMG0003 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

I've been given the spare room to store materials etc. so dustsheet on the floor in there.

RIMG0004 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

This is the boiler that's coming out.

RIMG0005 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

The soffits have been replaced with new upvc with continuous vents, great idea this close to a flue.

RIMG0006 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

Nice job. Why do you need a pump hasn't the boiler got one built in? And why have you gone vertical flue when you can extend it passed the gutter?
Not criticism, just curiosity.

Nice job. Why do you need a pump hasn't the boiler got one built in? And why have you gone vertical flue when you can extend it passed the gutter?
Not criticism, just curiosity.

I'm fitting the 18 OV which doesn't have a built in pump. The old boiler flue came out of the side of the casing. To get a horizontal flue on a new boiler I'd have to sit it on the work top.

nice job mke,but dont you just love motorized valves with no isos on them

And day two.

After an hour spent in the roof space connecting the primaries it was onto swapping seven radiators and changing the valves on the other 3.

First job, sheet up the first room, towels wrapped round the tails and wet cvac on standby.

RIMG0001 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

Rad out and upside down with blue rull stuffed in the ends to stop drips.

RIMG0003 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

Woohoo scrap and I'm allowed to carry it because I have a waste licence.

RIMG0004 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

New rad in front of the old brackets which just happen to be the same as the new ones and in the right place as rads are just being swapped from P+ to K2, or P1 to P+. The new rads are Henrad which are made by Stelrad.

RIMG0006 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

New rad hung and now comes the struggle of getting the blanks out. Mikes special snapped chisel saves the day once again. It's the perfect size.

RIMG0008 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

RIMG0010 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

The new rad valves are a lot further out than the old ones so the pipes needed cutting quite low to get the offset in. The easiest way was to sweat the old fitting off. To save scorching the carpet I used wet tissue wrapped round the bottom of the pipe.

RIMG0011 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

Offset in place.

RIMG0012 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

The finished rad.

RIMG0014 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

Now just read these last two posts another 6 times and you've relived my exciting day.

I hate those blanks in the rads, specially when they start to round! Loving the pics tho!

Good stuff Mike.
One rad a day, going to be a long install isnt it!:yesnod:

He said retread this post another 6 times... So I guess he did 7 rads, which I thought was pretty good going!?

Out of interest, are you working alone on this job? Or man & mate... The vertical flue must have been 2 man job...

He said retread this post another 6 times... So I guess he did 7 rads, which I thought was pretty good going!?

Out of interest, are you working alone on this job? Or man & mate... The vertical flue must have been 2 man job...

Vertical flue on a bungalow? Even croppie could reach that one! Nice work mike, I didn't have you down a paste on threads man tho.

Vertical flue on a bungalow? Even croppie could reach that one! Nice work mike, I didn't have you down a paste on threads man tho.

I can imagine its a right pain on your own, trying to align all the fittings! Plus going up & down would be a nightmare? I always use a mate to help on verticals, and always try fitting horizontal where possible!

Good pics tho, keep em coming! It takes a brave man to post his work on here...

This would only take a morning if AP was doing it!

I don't believe all these guys who claim to fit systems in a day etc... They must have more luck than me, they obviously don't get drain offs that don't open, pipes that constantly have water in them, pipes thick with paint.

On my own. Bit of a slack day yesterday just got drained down, old boiler out, new boiler in, primaries into loft and flue. More on form today, primary connections in loft, changed 7 rads and changed valves on the other 3 rads. Could have done a bit more but I wanted to get away early to beat the traffic so left at 4. Tomorrow it's ga connection, fit bypass, new pump, wire up, flush, making good and check gas pressure. I may be back on Thursday for a new gas run as i's borderline if the existing is big enough.

On my own. Bit of a slack day yesterday just got drained down, old boiler out, new boiler in, primaries into loft and flue. More on form today, primary connections in loft, changed 7 rads and changed valves on the other 3 rads. Could have done a bit more but I wanted to get away early to beat the traffic so left at 4. Tomorrow it's ga connection, fit bypass, new pump, wire up, flush, making good and check gas pressure. I may be back on Thursday for a new gas run as i's borderline if the existing is big enough.

What are you doing up at this time on a school night mike? You'll be up in a couple of hours!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Done it myself. My analyser went mad at me...
Replies
Views
Anyway, you can always increase the boiler...
Replies
Views
It's the norm on here. very little feedback...
Replies
Views
A simple thing i'd probably check is the...
Replies
Views
J
A gas engineer with respect and quality will...
Replies
Views
Mark Butler
M
Back