Boilermate 2000 Excessive Cost | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boilermate 2000 Excessive Cost in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

I have one which is 20yr old & still going strong.
As previously mentioned in another post powered by a potterton suprima (was a pile of crap until potterton sorted out issues with boiler).
As long as your boiler mate has had a regular clean/flush & treatment then you should have no real issues & the bonus of potable hot & cold water through the house.
Make sure you insulate the pipework in airing cupboard though as you will lose a lot of heat there,
Hope this helps,
Andy

Were you giving monthly readings prior to the smart start being fitted? It could be that the previous bill was partly estimated/averaged for the year and now you're paying what you actually used that month? I've had a couple of people say their bill went up immediately after having a smart meter fitted and I think this is the reason.

i've got a boiler mate Ov, powered by a potterton promax, its the same type of thermal store but smaller than the boilermate2000, been running for 15years no hassles at all.
If i were you i'd change gas suppliers or at least look into your bill structure, those nasty energy companies have a habit of upping your costs when you're out of your tariff

I was giving monthly reading to my gas supplier, so there's definitely no issue with incorrect estimated usage. Their prices aren't that bad either as I'm currently on a fixed tariff; it's just the amount that I'm using that's the issue. My most recent bill was £45 for gas and the heating hasn't been on once.

Someone mentioned trying to add insulation. How would I go about this? Not much of the pipes are exposed and it seems a lot of heat is being lost through the entire unit. The insulation inside must be quite poor. I attached a couple of pics show show how it looks.

IMG_20190316_113006.jpg IMG_20190316_113013.jpg

The thermal store needs to be kept hot for the DHW pump to run, so you’ll be using gas that way, plus if your boiler is 20 years old it’ll not be as efficient as modern equivalent

Most of these systems will heave a timer for when you don't want the boiler to run.

E.G - Overnight during the small hrs when a noisy older boiler would wake you up by using the timer function it would not allow the boiler to fire up until maybe an hr before you got up for work.

That way you would get up, the hot water functionality would be at it's best & maybe have a nice warm house if the radiators kicked in.

Other option which is maybe a bit drastic is turn it all off at night but be aware that the PCB's can sometimes be a bit sensitive to constant power switching off/on.

If the system is that bad then other option is to replace with an alternative but make sure you have been made aware of different systems/setup's & there limitations.

Hope this helps,

Andy

Also another thing to note would don't base energy usage on £ value. Instead measure it as kwh usage on your bills or m3 as that is what will remain a constant. Otherwise its a very difficult thing to measure and accurately say the system is using more gas etc as it could be cost codes etc wrong on the energy supplier end.

Provided the meter isnt inaccurate (which could be tested by performing a gas rate check on the boiler and seeing if kW rating lines up) then I'd go off your previous reading you'd have on your statement and go off of real measurable usage rather than the costs alone.

Similar plumbing topics

Under the Energy Price Cap rates from 1...
Replies
Views
D
Have you checked your hot water schedule? It...
Replies
Views
peter challinor
P
P
Baxi boilers are light and quiet but I doubt...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Back