Boxing up pipework | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boxing up pipework in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

A friend while refurbishing his kitchen has completely boxed in all the pipework right up to and under his boiler (wall mounted combi) leaving no access to any safety valves, filling loop etc. I'm not a plumber but I suggested it was unwise if he needed access in a hurry or any work done but he just said he'd break it open if that's the case but is it in contravention of any regs and is there any particular danger to doing this when as he suggested he could always turn the gas and mains water off at the meter/stopcock?

No danger, just not convenient, as long as boiler instructions have been consulted for minimum Clarence's round and under boiler as long as he knows where main gas and water are it's fine, just going to be messy if access required for service or maintenance

Last edited by a moderator:
You need 200 mm below boilers (some) for service n maintanance but you can box up as long as it's made in such a way that it can be removed for these purposes.

normally you need 5mm clearance from the boiler case for boxings, tho it differs from one appliance to another and manufacturers instructions need to be followed.

Without access to the filling loop and possible the inlet test point he will need to remove it within a year or so when its next serviced. It would have been better made removable, but hey we all live and learn :)

Similar plumbing topics

We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
By restriction I mean testing from a gas valve...
Replies
Views
1/4 turn black knob on both. open bleed screw...
Replies
Views
The only opening in a built in gas meter box...
Replies
Views
Got a response from Gas Safe Register, I think...
Replies
Views
Back