Brand new noisy CH water pump | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Brand new noisy CH water pump in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

S

Shuggieg

Hi

Recently had a new WILO Gold RS50 water pump installed by registered fitter. The pump makes a loud gurgling sound when running, sounds like air and water being stirred up. Have bled the radiators and the bleed screw on the pump several times. Also a small vent at top of pipe on join between pump and tank. Only a small amount of air coming out of 2 upstairs radiators but pump still noisy. The noise reverberates around the house and is quite intrusive. Called the fitter out again to look at it but he says it is just system noise and we have to live with it. He has already power flushed the boiler and fitted a filter to catch any debris in the system. He says the only thing left to do is power flush the whole system (at a cost of £400) and says there is no guarantee of it getting rid of the noise. Read several forums where the answer is replace an old pump but this one is brand new! Any suggestions please?

Sounds to me like there is still air in system

Try leaving pump off for a while and vent system with pump off.

Also if it is open vented. Check the system is filling correctly.

If its sealed. Check there's enough pressure in system

Thanks Howsie, it has 3 speeds and is noisy on all of them. He suggested keeping it on no.2.

Thanks SimonJohns, I normally switch it off then vent the pump and bleed rads. Will try after leaving off for a bit longer.

Some systems are just noisy for a while after they've been drained/refilled because of air in the pipes.
It's very likely that the noise will lessen and eventually stop if you keep on top of the bleeding.
There are a number of factors like bad design, sagging pipe runs etc that will cause air pockets around your system.
Once the air is gone you should have your quiet central heating system back.

Thanks JCplumb, I will keep at it. However in the meantime will the air gurgling around in the pump likely cause any damage to the pump?
RGDS
CH pumps will fail if they run dry, bubbles won't affect them, neither will air passing through them in small amounts. So as long as it's not running dry it will be fine. As mentioned in pretty much all the replies - just keep bleeding the pump and and other bleed points on your system. Plenty of tissues round the screw as you bleed the pump because the water usually likes to go under face plate.

Hi

Following advice on this forum and others I have continued to bleed the rads which are still getting trapped air. Now about 3 weeks and no sign that it is improving. Is it possible that air is getting in somewhere and I am just wasting my time? I switch the system off before I bleed the air from it.

regards
Hugh

3 weeks is a long time to see no improvement. Is it an open vented system? My guess would be it's pumping over and oxygenated water is entering the system. Either that or you have a leak somewhere.
If it is open vent, get to the f/e tank and watch it as someone else turns the heating on, then watch it some more as the heating gets to temperature. If your system is sound there should be little or no activity up there.

3 weeks is a long time to see no improvement. Is it an open vented system? My guess would be it's pumping over and oxygenated water is entering the system. Either that or you have a leak somewhere.

It is an open vented system

If it is open vent, get to the f/e tank and watch it as someone else turns the heating on, then watch it some more as the heating gets to temperature. If your system is sound there should be little or no activity up there.

Did as you suggested. Watched while system switched on then for another 15 mins till system fully up and running with pump making its usual gurgling sound. But no activity in the F&E tank. Also checked that the vent pipe meets the spec in the instruction manual for the Glowworm 18xi system.

Should I be looking for a leak in the system now?

Thanks again for your time and your input.
Regards
Hugh

The problem could be a leak, but to be honest it's difficult to diagnose without being there.
A pressure test would detect a leak which is something a plumber could do for you, how long it would take and how much it would cost is anyones guess. I'd phone a few local plumbers for quotes. Or post on here in the plumber wanted section.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hi, We have solar panels for our hot water...
Replies
Views
Alpha 2/3 manual. Shows variant with air...
Replies
Views
A
  • Question
Stnd wrong pump for a high pressure shower...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Photos of the cylinder which is located in...
Replies
Views
Back