British Gas and their fascination with Power Flush... | Gas Engineers Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss British Gas and their fascination with Power Flush... in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
As what has been said, BG is there for the profit and profit only. They don't care about customers like us small one bands do.

Really gets my back up!

True and they will wriggle out of the contract on small things, some smaller guys do service contracts, I would recommend these more then BG and I certainly will be doing service contracts hen I earn enough dough

I'm thinking of doing these contracts soon to be honest, but I'd offer a better service than BG do.

Amount of times I have been to customers where BG wouldn't fix it.

Offering service contracts is a risky risky business if you ask me. Say someone pays you twenty quid a month over a year, that equals £240. If that boilers PCB fails then there's your £240 gone then your working for free and probably losing money.

Plus you'd have to take BG's attitude towards things if you offered service contracts, would you really keep changing pump after pump on a system if you knew that it was sludge or a system defect making the pump fail?? I doubt you would.

Its easy to say that you'd do a better job than BG, but in reality when it comes down to your a business as they are and money is what everything comes down to.

Offering service contracts is a risky risky business if you ask me. Say someone pays you twenty quid a month over a year, that equals £240. If that boilers PCB fails then there's your £240 gone then your working for free and probably losing money.

Plus you'd have to take BG's attitude towards things if you offered service contracts, would you really keep changing pump after pump on a system if you knew that it was sludge or a system defect making the pump fail?? I doubt you would.

Its easy to say that you'd do a better job than BG, but in reality when it comes down to your a business as they are and money is what everything comes down to.

but you put it against the people who dont claim for 3 years!!

but you put it against the people who dont claim for 3 years!!

Those people are few and far between though mate. Even if you go to a repair and don't use any parts it's still costing you time and you could end up being run ragged. It obviously does work as there are many companies doing it, but I think I has to be done a large scale to make it profitable.

British Gas (BG)Maintenance Plan...have read similar posts

wriggle out clause is similar to "water not included"

(Reminded me of Xmas toys- without Batteries + Message on Box)

I agree with Tom. Service contracts are a numbers game and a big risk to independents. Spending a Saturday afternoon in the bookies betting favourites with your weekly takings would probably give you better odds of surviving.

villa_tom;448472would you really keep changing pump after pump on a system if you knew that it was sludge or a system defect making the pump fail?? I doubt you would.[/QUOTE said:
Rather than put a plaster on it i'd fix the underlying problem.

BG do a system check, including a water check, before they accept the system on contract.

They advertise that the contract includes a service, but just do a gas check - 20 minutes and they're gone.

Money for old rope.

I agree with Tom. Service contracts are a numbers game and a big risk to independents. Spending a Saturday afternoon in the bookies betting favourites with your weekly takings would probably give you better odds of surviving.

I agree with this. Some years ago we (family business) were asked if we could provide this sort of thing for a local housing association for around 500 properties. They were after an all singing all dancing contract that covered all CH repairs. We looked at what had been spent on maintaining the systems over the previous couple of years and found a couple that had cost over a grand to put right. You only need one of those to lose all of the profit on a small contract. Service contracts are a numbers game to spread the risk and you've got to tie it down really tight to avoid the expensive calls. You then end up being more expensive than BG for the same poor cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Sorry missed your reply! I try to answer your...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hardly surprising BG do a lot of power flushes...
Replies
Views
Is the newboiler a heat only boiler with a...
Replies
Views
Back