British Gas can't find a leak, but one of our rooms smells of gas | Gas Engineers Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss British Gas can't find a leak, but one of our rooms smells of gas in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Methane itself does not have an especially pungent odor, making it nearly impossible to detect leaks via sense of smell alone. Thus, a foul-smelling compound is added to methane before it's used commercially, for safety reasons.

I know that mate I mentioned it earlier in the post :p

as for kirkgas yeh I know what you mean I think its when it is mixed with hydrogen sulphite that gives it the eggy smell, which is a form of sulphur I think I'm not 100% sure.

methane doesn't have a smell naturally it gives that eggy smell when mixed with hydrogen sulphite(sulphur i believe) which is produced naturally in our bowels.. So a combination of the 2 produces the eggy smell, methane on its own doesn't have a smell or if it does we can't detect it. That's my 2 cents anyhow may not be correct but I'm not a scientist I'm a Plumber :)

ethyl butyl I think I knew a woman called that once!

Anyway ask Transco to run there sniffer over it. It does seem a bit of an unusual way of doing things to me. If you report a leak, Transco usually test your gas carcass and if a drop is found they shut and cap it off or tell you to get a Gas Safe guy in to find where the leak is.

But if your carcass is okay, they get their sniffers out and start to explore their mains supply.

just a guess- could it be radon gas that naturally occurs from underground in some parts of country. contact council to find out i think they should know on their plans etc

This is an old thread but RADON is odorless, tasteless and colourless gas and is produced by rotting uranium, it is also radioactive so I would suggest it is not the problem.

Anyway ask Transco to run there sniffer over it. It does seem a bit of an unusual way of doing things to me. If you report a leak, Transco usually test your gas carcass and if a drop is found they shut and cap it off or tell you to get a Gas Safe guy in to find where the leak is.
I had a problem with one where I moved a gas pipe in the kitchen, tested before I went home, everything was fine. The next the sparky was in re-wiring the kitchen, took the floor up and could smell gas, so the foreman rang me, could I go and have a look whilst I was in the same street, went around put a drop test on and it was fine, but there was defernitly a smell of gas, and my sniffer was picking it up.

The foreman came around and asked if I found anything, I told the u gauge had been on half an hour and probably dropped 1mb.

We had a look around and could not find anything until I realised, that was timber framed house and on the back of the kitchen was next doors kitchen, so I suggested the leak was coming from there, and the foreman agreed and we called transco. The next door void property which we could not get access.

Transco came out with there £1500 sniffer and said they could not detect any trace off gas.

Two weeks later, the goes into the void property, and theres a strong smell of gas coming from the cooker hose. God knows how long that was leaking, and could you imagine the consequences if that went up

i had a job years ago where i was getting a 10mb drop on the installation so i capped the meter off with a disk and replaced the gas supply to the boiler and cooker as most of it was lead, did a tightness test again still a drop so i called transco and capped it again. they came out used their sniffer and couldn't find a leak so he did a tightness test and he said it must be on the installation, he packed up and as he was leaving i forgot i left the disk in the meter union so the tightness test we did was meter only, tuned out it was the seam on the meter after he replaced it it was spot on.. So it go to show that transco don't check everything they just detect a leak on a drop test and assume it the pipework.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

How old is your place? Get the gas company to...
Replies
Views
Yeah sorry, crappy powerpoint skills rather...
Replies
Views
F
Thanks for your reply. I don't think so. I...
Replies
Views
Funkymunkey27
F
Fair enough. But anything that IS written...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks, both. Good tips. Will give them a go.
Replies
Views
Back