Broken and cracked sewerage pipe in the garden - options? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Broken and cracked sewerage pipe in the garden - options? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your not repairing you are replacing, but thanks for taking our advice.

Don't forget to check PLI. Make this a habit whatever contractor you employ. My PLI was around £400 pa and I really enjoyed giving a copy to any customer who asked for proof. Last year the next door property to us was having major works which involved scaffolding on my land. The owner just assumed I would give permission for the scaffold, I asked for the contractors PLI and scaffolding licence. Guess what, he had neither. So permission was refused. It then transpired that none of the subbies had it either.

When I explained to the council's building control surveyor, he said it's a repair and it's a grey area whether building control is needed anyway I've arranged for him to inspect it tomorrow afternoon.

I must admit I didn't check his public liability insurance physically but I saw that on checkatrade it said it's verified and up to 1 million.

As for the reason why I am not replacing all the drains, maybe I wasn't clear earlier but the insurance money approved was for the amount quoted to reline the drain and not the dig up the whole patio and replace. But the option to replace the damaged part in the garden was a couple of hundred pounds cheaper.

To dig up the patio and put it back it would easily add another 500 pounds or so to the bill which the insurance won't cover anymore. There's only about 5m of clay in the main sewer pipe that's under the patio and it's fine (the drain guy checked again yesterday before starting the work) so I'm going to leave it as it is and if it breaks in 10 years then I'll worry about it then. To be honest I might not even be here in a few years time so not going to worry about things that far ahead.

Yes ideally I would have liked to have replaced the whole thing but it's too late for that now. I should have had the survey done before the patio was laid and probably should have asked the people to quote for the replacement option and not reline option.

What are you going to do if the drain collapses or get infested with tree roots in 12 months.?

What are you going to do if the drain collapses or get infested with tree roots in 12 months.?

Well if that happens, I'll dig up replace. There are no trees/plants near that section so very unlikely to be damaged roots. As I said 2 guys put their cameras down there and didn't see any problems in that section under the patio but I know there's no guarantee it's going to be fine in the future.

Whether I do it now or get it done later, I'll have to pay out of my pocket so I'll take the chance and not break the new patio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi ring your local water company were you pay...
Replies
Views
A
  • Question
Hi there, I recently purchased a flat that...
Replies
Views
Amelia
A
10 o’clock / 45 degrees would be better than...
Replies
Views
Just to round this off with what I found here...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for the advice... makes total sense...
Replies
Views
Back