Building site work contacts when sub contracting | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Building site work contacts when sub contracting in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

R

rjm84

Hi there , I'm just wondering how any one finds out who does the plumbing for new build sites,
I've always done domestic plumbing, and domestic companies are easy enough to find through there advertisements , but started sub contracting to a couple of firms 6 months ago on new build sites, to wich I thoroughly enjoyed, but their work has dried up, and probably won't be anything for another month , and with no other contacts for firms that do site work , I'm out of work , I'm from Birmingham , and driving around, there seems to be plenty of new builds around , but can't seem to find companies that take on subbies for new build , any advice for a plumber who's new to subbying , but lacks contacts , any advice on how to find these companies out ?

When im looking for work best bet i find is either job centre plus site or gumtree. Then agencies but they seem to take too long to get a start an the money doesnt seem to be as good. If a site is already up and running then they usually already have plumbers in place.

Hi there rjm84 , some sites work different to others , some sites the site agent can hire n fire guys or other sites it's the developer or site owner who hires , either way approach the site agent introduce yourself and your intentions and hopefully he'll help u out,

the days of walking up to a site and getting a start are gone everything is done via agencies and umbrella companies nowadays you cant even walk onto a site without an induction even to visit the office other than very small developers youve got to find who the agencies are in your area

If your talking about the large housing companies like taylor wimpey , barrats etc then two options i would look at .

Firtsly the merchants like plumb centre, plum base or pts nine times out of ten supply the plumbing companies that are contracted to these sites . Take a visit to these and ask who are busy with new build site work they will tell you all.

The other option is you will see the vans come in and out on the sites take note and contact them direct.

I have never heard of agency workers on new build house bash sites round here and the work is itemised price work so you will need a price list .

Easy walk on site find the plumbers container and ask if there's a start available if not do they have any other sites that might. You'll find there will only be three or four company's that cover that area. Having said that were now back up to 6 down here but all price work all subbies, the only guys on day rate are the foreman, the commissioner and the finisher

Your local council planning portal lists all planning applications and the people who made them. Sometimes it's private homeowners, but often you'll find developers names and addresses etc, who you can then contact knowing they're about to start looking for contractors.
It's a year or so since I last logged in to my account, but I think it was free, or there might have been a small charge for the service, but it wasn't a lot if there was a charge.

Stewarts, A M Noris, Choice, Spectrum, Dodds, PH Jones, SPI ............... are just a few of the names in the midlands.

rather than walk on site, phone the builders and ask who they are using.

Last edited:
Yeah I might give giving a call to builders or the local merchants a call to see who and where they seem to be supplying to , that seems a good shout , I've tried online like jobseekers direct or indeed but there's a lot of agencies, who mostly seem to advertise but have no work, but just want to add you to their database , or they operate an umbrella company , I worked through an umbrella company before , swines deducted £2 an hour off me for the privallidge , never again

Similar plumbing topics

Hi RPM, Gasway were the first company i...
Replies
Views
I would never do it now but it is easier now...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ha easier said than done cutting back to...
Replies
Views
Hi Josh, Hope you don't mind me asking but...
Replies
Views
G
Hi guys I am recently trained and Gas Safe...
Replies
Views
Gas safety guy
G
Back