Water leak outside property | General DIY Plumbing Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Water leak outside property in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Not exactly a plumbing problem but here goes. I have known for a couple of years there was a water leak somewhere between the water meter, on our property, and the property itself. The water company fitted a new (smart) meter about 4 weeks ago. Now they have contacted us saying we have a leak as we are using water 24/7. They say we should fix it giving a deadline or they will fix it. Not sure how that works as they would need access to the grounds. Anyway I digress. The leak is most definitely on the external pipework because even with the stopcock closed the meter still goes around, well the old one did not bothered to look at the new one yet. So what all this waffle is about is there a way to find out where the leak is occurring. I know at some point there is a 'T' joint off to an outbuilding. I am aussuming that the leak is at a fitting and not on the pipe itself. So we have exiting the meter or the 'T' joint. I have not got a clue as to how to ascertain where the 'T' joint is. Also unsure as to how reputable somebody might be who says they can fix it. The distance from the meter to the stopcock is some 40m which I do not fancy digging up.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks

Sounds like a good result.

Just for your information- the black mdpe you have found is almost certainly alkathene and not mdpe.
Bd warned that this pipe is more inclined to become brittle with age, I would not use d squeeze off tool on it. Also if at all practical I would replace it with blue mdpe whilst you are mucking around. Note it is often easier to run a new supply by a different route and simply disconnect the old one and leave it in situ - but this will depend on the circumstances of your actual installation.

MDPE HDPE whats in a name. 😀 Too many other things to be getting on with so no way will I replace the black with blue would be over 40m needing replacing.
The black seemed to compress yesterday very nicely and resumed its circular shape. All I want is to find the leak sort it and fill in all the holes.

Finally traced leak with aid of a CAT4 cable tracer and genny. Problem was with fastening ring on a Philmac universal transition joiner. The ring had split for around 50% of the circumference.
Attached is a pic of current state. Original feed from meter now terminated with a stop end on a JG 3/4 in LDPE to 25mm adaptor.
I intend doing away with the boilerhouse feed and just running a supply to the garage for an outside tap. Now a slight problem is the garage pipe is
20mm MDPE and the spigot on the JG fitting is 25mm. Plus I now am about half a meter short of pipe. Now I know I can buy some 20mm pipe, a 25mm to 20mm adapter and a 20mm elbow. I just wondered am I missing anything obvious to do the job except from how I am stating here?

Buggar I am always doing that.

Attachments

• pipe1.jpg
    pipe1.jpg
    616.6 KB · Views: 38
Just another matter. The pipe coming from the garage is shall we say marked/scored so I doubt a normal 20mm MDPE would seal well enough. What I am therefore thinking of is a 20mm brass
compression fitting, do they exist?

Just another matter. The pipe coming from the garage is shall we say marked/scored so I doubt a normal 20mm MDPE would seal well enough. What I am therefore thinking of is a 20mm brass
compression fitting, do they exist?

They do peglar make them but I would cut back to a non damaged part

I’ve seen scores / scratches weaken the pipe causing a burst etc

Ha easier said than done cutting back to undamaged pipe. Shortly after picture it disappears under a flower bed with trees in there then under a paved area before arriving at the garage. The scores scrtaches are not bad just that a slight score I have found can make an O ring seal not work. I have just this minute found that Conex do a 20mm brass coupler so might try that.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
It’s definitely soldered as it would not hold...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ah perfect. Thank you!
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a chattering float valve in the loft...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Any pictures of how you’ve installed it ?
Replies
Views
    • Winner
  • Question
What a great and informative post! Thanks for...
Replies
Views
Back