Can Hep2o & Speedfit Mix? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter LeakyNick
  • Start date
  • Replies 32
  • Views 75K

Discuss Can Hep2o & Speedfit Mix? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
plastics been around longer than me.

ive started to quote with plastic and with copper for last 6 months as i was losing jobs to people installing just plastic. pride takles a big part in my work but so does winning jobs - the customer in last year or so have been getting 5-6 quotes unheard of before and going with the cheapest.

as to original poster - use correct inserts and you wont go far wrong.

When we use plastic pipe it is NEVER where the pipework can be seen. We never do rad upstands in plastic because they can never look right and will not take a bashing from say a baby buggy wheel.

A quotation for a full installation will spec. the type of pipe to be used and usually will be
for all copper and then a 2nd one for a mix if the customer wants to go that way.

I am gratefull to read all the info about which plastic system fits what

centralheatking

Well the leaking joint was on a speedfit tee. Took it apart and the hep pipe has speedfit insert. Investigated others and they all do. All the pipe is hep, all the fittings and inserts are speedfit.

the customer in last year or so have been getting 5-6 quotes unheard of before and going with the cheapest.

And as a result, usually get what they pay for, as the saga post on here over the past week is showing:D

What an interesting debate. If history is anything to go bye? Its going to be plastic all the way. Remembering the introduction of plastic waste and soil systems, all the guys i worked with (along with me ) were anti plastic. The introduction resulted in deskilling the game and allow those with out a clue on soil and waste to cunjur up all sorts of abortions. But because is just meant a bit of gurgling and the odd blockage punters were not really aware of the reasons. (Dyno rod were not complaining either) It was also a time when gas fitters were failed plumbers (no qualifications required) just screw a bit of barrel and throw it in for a carcass. Once they managed to blow a chunk out of a block of flats (Rowen Point) aii sorts of 5hit hit the fan and CORGI was introduced. Which helped to train people on the physics, material, jointing methods, testing etc. Perhaps this fact will need to be repeated when every Joe Soap starts doing the plumbing using just a knowledge of push fit jointing and not much else. Contaminating our water supplies is not quite so news worth as an explosion but can have a similar effects.

So, just to close on my specific rumination... is the general consensus here then that the most likely cause of a weep on this joint (made between hep pipe with a speedfit insert and a speedfit fitting) was the wrong insert being used? Funny it held for so long. Can't see any reason why it went now either. On taking it apart it all looked like new, as plastics often do.

common cause for leaks in plastic pipe is down to those furry things with long teeth/tails, they also try chewing copper on occasion but thats harder so they prefer plastic. Even worse are squirrels, they destroy plastic pipes!! in seconds

And as a result, usually get what they pay for, as the saga post on here over the past week is showing:D

yep - they sure do.

im struggling to get bathroom swaps for 300! its getting ridiculous...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Depending on what size/type your existing rad...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Murdoch, Thanks for your recommendation...
Replies
Views
Yes on 10mm 15mm is fine for a long length
Replies
Views
  • Question
👍 Haven’t had any new ones fail but I don’t...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Copper everytime. Just make sure you protect...
Replies
Views
Back