Can I legally Sign Off Boiler Installers | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Can I legally Sign Off Boiler Installers in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gasleak

Hi

I work for BG at the mo but I need to do a private install can i register the boiler using my registration from BG. I know BG wont like it, but my only concern is my customer get there boiler sign off and the manufactures warranty.

Hi

I work for BG at the mo but I need to do a private install can i register the boiler using my registration from BG. I know BG wont like it, but my only concern is my customer get there boiler sign off and the manufactures warranty.

If you want to loose you're job gasleak! Well that's what happens up here in the North East anyway! I spent 25 years with BG and there was one NO NO! Do not compete against us!!! Is it still the same now?

You can't register it without their approval,the website might allow you to go through the process but it's not the right way to do it. Can you ask them? My previous firm let me register through them when I put a boiler in for my parents. I guess BG won't be so understanding though?

Or if I dont register the boiler install with gas safe, but send off the warranty card to worcester to get the 2 year warranty and fill out the benchmark and leave my registration number?? Will they still get the warranty, do worcester check to see if the boiler is registered

RU installation or repair for BG, gasleak? And is it still the same regards doing work other than for BG?

As far as Im aware thats a big no no in their eyes! You "should" have passed your "lead" on to the sales dept and be thankful for your £15 quodos reward lol

I work for the repair side of bg - Im not bothered about what BG say the time they find out I would have left, but Ideally I would like to do a legal install with no come backs

you will be breaching the low ,and is up to you what you do ! If ever anything goes wrong with the install you will be hold responsible as you have breached the low ,as you CAN NOT DO any other work out of the company gas number you are register ! but you should know all this as bg engineer

pair up with some one who is got his own reg with GS and then get him to register all the work , simples :)

if you are near london I can help you ,plus you customer can get 6 years guaranty on boiler ,as you mention wb

I work for the repair side of bg - Im not bothered about what BG say the time they find out I would have left, but Ideally I would like to do a legal install with no come backs

Ask your pals what they do 'gasleak'. To sign off a boiler you need your company registration as well as your personal engineers registration I believe, or is it company registration only? If you're leaving why don't you set yourself up as a business and register? That way you can register without any concerns! All you need is your current personal registration which proves your qualifications!

:smug:

gas safe do not have to notify your current employer if you register under your own name. They may still find out tho. best to shard the job with a registered engineer and still make some money.

it is an absolute no-no and you would be off your head, in effect you will be sticking yourself in as you are admitting you did the work and as you can only do gas work FOR BG you could also get done under Trading Standards, which is where most people get done rather than by GSR, CORGI used to investigate all sorts and if they thought it was too difficult to get any joy via HSE they would contact the Tax Office and Trading Standards to see if their rottweillers could have a go, remember Al capone, why do you think it is acceptable to try to defraud your company? if there is an issue with the job and GSR investigate they will see it is a BG job and go to them about it, as soon as they realise you have bumped them they will stick you in to everyone they can, Ok you will be away but you wont get away fron the tax man, if it is a homer and you are doing it cheap that is the price the punter pays for risking the warranty, some manufacturers will attend and if the job is decent they will fix it regardless of who did it

Hi

Or to rephrase what you are saying, you have a 9 to 5 job working for a gsr business as you are a trained, qualified, registered gas operative.

At the weekend you would like to do an illegal gas installation as an unregistered *** probably cheap for customer, paying no tax, you probably don't have insurance (OK insurance is not compulsory but we all have it and it is VERY expensive) and you'd like a bit of advice from those of us who are trying to make a legal living.

It really doesn't matter whether BG don't like it I don't think any one on this forum likes it. And I hope your customer can't get their boiler registered....
I can't type or say the rest....

wow - looks like i hit a nerve.

I have said I wanted to install the boiler legally and as you said I am a trained and qualified gas fitter but it doesn;t make me any less trained just because it is outside of bg, It just a case of getting through the red tape.

dont worry tomorrow is almost here and hopefully you will have a better day

No it is not about red tape
It ultimately comes down to money and it is costing us a lot more to do the same job meeting the legal requirements.

It always used to be the case that most illegal gas installations which were done by people who were not corgi registered were done by compitant, trained qualified people doing stuff they were not registered to do.

Hi

You don,t have a registration from BG all you have is your operative card to confirm you are competent to install whatever is on it,for any company thats registered, probably paid for by BG. Its BG who are Gas Safe Registered not you. Should it go t*ts up & they find out you,ll be rightly sacked, possibly prosecuted and certainly stigmatised from genuine installers. You decide is it worth it ???
Considering your stated earnings i would be in deep thought..

Trev TM Plumbing

wow - looks like i hit a nerve.

I have said I wanted to install the boiler legally and as you said I am a trained and qualified gas fitter but it doesn;t make me any less trained just because it is outside of bg, It just a case of getting through the red tape.

dont worry tomorrow is almost here and hopefully you will have a better day

Bottom line 'gasleak' you know the answer! Find out your companies registration number and use it! You are a legitimatly capable engineer! I have been where you are, two fingers to anyone who cares atitude! Well good luck!

deffo an illegal installation, if you read under competant person act you will observe it also states 'and is a registered business under the gas safe scheme for the work carried out'
as you wont be, b.g. on the other hand, is.

taking this into account, for the smaller operatives down the line like the sole trader!. i am thinking in the cutting the red tape for next year by keeping my i.d card but not renewing registration to save a few bob. i will just flash the card to custards thats expired and they will never know. same thing really, what do you recon?.
c'mon do it right, bung a few quid to a registered business/engineer to do the commisioning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Who said plastic 28/22mm copper tube and mlcp...
Replies
Views
No they just do the address, thank goodness...
Replies
Views
Hi appreciate and thanks to all that replied...
Replies
Views
D
As above The Grant instructions tell you to...
Replies
Views
I’m guessing the installer didn’t have a...
Replies
Views
Back