Can I legally Sign Off Boiler Installers | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Can I legally Sign Off Boiler Installers in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow - looks like i hit a nerve.

I have said I wanted to install the boiler legally and as you said I am a trained and qualified gas fitter but it doesn;t make me any less trained just because it is outside of bg, It just a case of getting through the red tape.

dont worry tomorrow is almost here and hopefully you will have a better day

doing it legally and stealing your employers reg number is a contradiction, i hade a great day today and will have an even better one tomorrow as im finishing early to go to florida for 3 weeks on wed, so you aint upsetting me with your cavalier attitude to GSR and your employers rules, go ahead and use the reg why ask if you want to give those giving you good advice pelters, do you want our blessing,

gasleak its classed as illegal mate as you dont have gas safe in your own right,carnt do it under bg, work outside your company is clased as illegal ring gas safe and ask its in there rules

no nerve hit, just giving you the facts. It is illegal, whether qualified or not. Its in the regs 1998

Okay

So I spoke to GSR and they said if I am not recieveing a payment for fitting the boiler then i am legally allowed to fit the boiler as I am deemed compentent. However I cannot register the boiler with them. But the did say the homeowner could contact the local council who will put them touch with building control who will register the boiler.

Just read all the posts hope u have sorted it,,, I work for my self but have been in your shoes ,,, I wouldn't b botherd with all the negative comments about how much u earn etc ,,, if I earnt £10000 in a week and some one phoned me with a call out on Saturday I would still go n do it ,, your not being greedy and no 1 can have enough money :)

Okay

So I spoke to GSR and they said if I am not recieveing a payment for fitting the boiler then i am legally allowed to fit the boiler as I am deemed compentent. However I cannot register the boiler with them. But the did say the homeowner could contact the local council who will put them touch with building control who will register the boiler.

surprised you didnt know this. The ACS is sign of competency and will allow you to fit boilers but if you wish to charge you must be registered with the appropiate body, which for now is gas safe

"
[h=3]Qualification and supervision[/h]3.—(1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.
(2) The employer of any person carrying out such work for that employer, every other employer and self-employed person who has control to any extent of such work and every employer and self-employed person who has required such work to be carried out at any place of work under his control shall ensure that paragraph (1) above is complied with in relation to such work.
(3) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraphs (1) and (2) above and subject to paragraph (4) below, no employer shall allow any of his employees to carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or service pipework and no self-employed person shall carry out any such work, unless the employer or self-employed person, as the case may be, is a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes of this paragraph."

just carnt see that ,you can do it ,as long as not getting paid,when i first started thinking about doing gas ,i thought about bg and had this discusion with the place i done my gas and was told you carnt do any work outside of the firm you work for as its illegal unless your gas safe in your own right ,the reason being loads of people would be doing it, as how can they prove youve not been paid so i stayed on my own and never bothered trying for bg i also rang gas safe who said i had to register in my own right to do other work outside of a company i work for,granted acs makes you compentent but only in conjuction with gas safe hence this

(3) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraphs (1) and (2) above and subject to paragraph (4) below, no employer shall allow any of his employees to carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or service pipework and no self-employed person shall carry out any such work, unless the employer or self-employed person, as the case may be, is a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes of this paragraph."

as above plus its £300 for the homeowner to register the boiler with building regs nowt with gas safe, can you honestly say your gunner fit a boiler for nowt even if you get money for parts/fitting your receiving money so theyve got ye, ad just be careful mate its not worth loosing your job over

Last edited by a moderator:
as regs say the only requirement for doing any gas work is that your competent. if your getting piad you need to be gas safe registered

you wouldnt get registered to fit your own boiler would you? so youd do it and not pay yourself

competent, pretty much just having acs but there may be times when someone is competent without it. i know a retirered x bg trainer, when his acs runs out will someone say he isnt competent? he knows everything, even involved with writing acs when it first come out

it would be interesting what would happen if this situation ended up in court,against the law of the land,we mix regs up with laws to easily,there is a argument obviously about not using others registration but saying you can do a job 9 to 5 under your own supervision for such an establishment as BG and come 5 pm you get kissed by a frog and turn into a incompetent fool ,I fair ,would not hold much water in a court of law
The issue of being paid or not in this instance is another attempted smoke screen

imho

Okay

building control will charge a nice sum for there services, use that money and register yourself!

Is payment purely in money form, or is accepting cups of tea and maybe a sandwich from the customer also deemed a payment? Granted not a very high one, but still could be seen as a payment.

'Gasleak', I'd like to apologise for having a stab at you regards your salary, it was uncalled for and has spawn a lot of rhetoric your way! The fact that you feel the need to do 'homers', 'fiddle', 'buckshee's' ... whatever you call them your neck of the woods, is your decision! If I'm not mistaken, however, Gas Safe may well be looking for the likes of yourself!

Your question, 'gasleak', was "can you register an installation using your company registration with BG?" I think you knew the answer before you posted! If you didn't then the answer is, with your companies permission you can as it is their registration number you require.

Capita run the TV licensing racket and I think some parking tickets operation amongst a million other things. They are efficient, too efficient. They get things done. May be worth noting if you don't already know.

Don't -JFK with the HSE , the job needs to be logged , you would be conducting private work without there authorisation . They used to print a list of Thease people in the back of corgi mag together with there £2500 fine .. Not the right publicity

it would be interesting what would happen if this situation ended up in court,against the law of the land,we mix regs up with laws to easily,there is a argument obviously about not using others registration but saying you can do a job 9 to 5 under your own supervision for such an establishment as BG and come 5 pm you get kissed by a frog and turn into a incompetent fool ,I fair ,would not hold much water in a court of law
The issue of being paid or not in this instance is another attempted smoke screen

imho

hi puddle, of course your right, you dont become incompetent after 5pm, it does seem stupid doesnt it!!! but the regs say you can work on gas if competent you just cannot work for money. ie, you can fix your mums boiler but you cannot run a business fitting boilers

Family members in gas safe , barristers .When the LAW states YOU SHALL that means you will no baffle. There is a scheame to stop evening prosecutions , it was set up by corgi because installers were dropping them like /:;;;?))) . If you are gas safe registered WITH a COMPANY and you moonlight you are NOT registered as the works are no traceable nor accountable to the LICENCE number that was issued to the company . They set up this if you work for a company and you are on the registration gas safe will offer you gas safe registration at a REDUCED rate for whatever and when ever time you kiss a frog. Ps when you register a boiler and they ask you did you INSTALL the boiler that is the slip they send to customs for tax purpose .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Who said plastic 28/22mm copper tube and mlcp...
Replies
Views
No they just do the address, thank goodness...
Replies
Views
Hi appreciate and thanks to all that replied...
Replies
Views
D
As above The Grant instructions tell you to...
Replies
Views
I’m guessing the installer didn’t have a...
Replies
Views
Back