Can i service my own boiler if am not gas safe registered | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Can i service my own boiler if am not gas safe registered in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
put it this way...

if you lived alone in a caravan in the middle of no where, you can do what you like.
if you killed yourself, blew the van up or whatever it would result at the inquest as tough titties.

now do it in a house, in a street, with the missus and kids present or even dammage to next doors fence. your rse would leave a skid mark all the way to the county court and you will be looking to do time.
biggest danger is reading between the lines.imo.
sure, your choice, have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Difficult to believe this debate is still going on, as we have been working under this registration requirement since 1991.

Competence: A person with relevant training, qualification and experience to carry out the nature of work safely. (ACS was introduced to help you proove this) With out it you will have a hard time prooving this in court) Thanks Danny Pipe for your like minded comment.

Gas work: if you are employed of self employed to carry out gas work you must be registered with the approved body (Gas Safe Register). This includes wether you do it for free or get paid for the work.

DIY: Most DIY people will be unable to proove competence (Where's their ACS certificate?) It may be that you are a gas registered engineer for the company you are employed with, but not as an individual; therefore you can do gas work at home because you hold an ACS cert for the work you wish to undertake.

All this information is available within the ACOP document for the gas safety (installation& use) regulations.

Worst comes to worse and something happens ,if you find yourself in court, unlikely you will prove yourself competent probably just that you are incontinent
:ihih:
imho

Constructive advice if you have not got ACS and Gas safe and end up in court. Wear a pin stripe wet suite with bicycle clips.

Wow guys, such a large response. Awesome. In all these replies i can find what i am looking for. I know it is a touchy subject for all.

I have been Plumbing for just over 3 years now and trained with a gas engineer. I have sat most of my acs exams apart from the practical part as i am still collecting evidence for fires. But i shall finish the practical hopefully this month if i get some free time.

But, to sign up for registration and to buy the FGA is a lot of money, which i will not be able to buy until next year.

I have just moved area to, so am not able to use my old boss's equipment.

Regards

Mutley

i wish you, your wife, children and lovely neighbours all the best with your DIY boiler service :) unless you live in a caravan on your own in the middle of nowhere, in which i would say 'go for it!!!!' the only person you can kill is yourself :) lol

Wow guys, such a large response. Awesome. In all these replies i can find what i am looking for. I know it is a touchy subject for all.

I have been Plumbing for just over 3 years now and trained with a gas engineer. I have sat most of my acs exams apart from the practical part as i am still collecting evidence for fires. But i shall finish the practical hopefully this month if i get some free time.

But, to sign up for registration and to buy the FGA is a lot of money, which i will not be able to buy until next year.

I have just moved area to, so am not able to use my old boss's equipment.

Regards

Mutley

not competent just yet then mate

tell you what muttley,

i had the same chat with my assessors when i was doing my acs a couple of weeks before completing it.

casually mention to them that you have just serviced your own boiler(actually i just gas rated my mums and sisters boilers for practice) and see what they say, get a back up assessor before you do mind, if they are as keen as mine.lol.

cheers guys. I like all the constructive criticism. I shall just wait until i am registered then. If i have something go wrong with my boiler, i can contact one of the 27 Gas Safe Engineers that live within a mile of my house!

Thanks guys

It is much appreciated

Resolute has given the definitive answer. thats pretty much what gas safe said to me a while back

Tbh. I do really care if you want to service your own boiler

Many people break the law everyday

If you wish to service it. Go ahead

Void your house insurance
Potentially risk your life and family's life. And neighbours.

But don't worry too much. You may be out when the house explodes and kills people. But you'll be fine

I hear they sell soap on the rope inside

OR does the court have to prove your incompetent thats a whole lot harder to prove....

it wont be that hard for the court to prove, the mere fact you are in court must mean something has happened which by definition will almost prove you are incompetant, there are 1000's of jobs done every day by people with no quals etc and if nothing goes wrong nobody knows or cares

might not be relevant, i have serviced many 100's of boilers very well without owning an analyser

Couldn't agree more.
I believe that FGA has made many lazy and useless engineer

Do these fast track really know what a reading actually means?

we will have no choice in april will we.
that means i will have to buy one!.

My view is that the law says you only have to be competent if you undertake work unpaid and not in the course of business. Now should there be an issue with the work, the court may well decide that competence is defined as being of a class of person qualified to undertake such work i.e someone on the GSR register. Up to you..

I thought you had to be gas safe but I'm new to this. I had a question about this in my last exam and I'm sure you have to have someone who is gas safe to sign it off???

Well done though for having the common sense to come on here and ask the professionals first. That'll stand you well when you do qualify!

Well, this seems to be a hard question to answer.

From the regs, it seems that i can, as long as i am not accepting any kind of payment for it.

It is when you start getting paid, that its illegal.

Also, i read that you have to be competent.

How do you define competent?

So, am i allowed legally to service my own boiler?

Regards

Mutley

as you say, you must be competent. how does anyone define competence, use KUTE/ do you have knowledge, understanding, technology and experience. I suggest if you are not qualififed it is difficult for you to prove this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

D
Although, I believe, fitting your own boiler –...
Replies
Views
Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated!
Replies
Views
Absolute cock & bull from SGN, think about...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Back