Cannot get new radiator to heat up? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Cannot get new radiator to heat up? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

ok, thank you for the advice on the isolators, I will remove them. With the issue I have though, is it sounding likeley that I have a blocked/damaged pipe? should the water flow from this pipe the same as the other? it makes no difference to the flow whether or not I have the isolator installed or removed. I am really at a loss as to what to do next.

Apologies if I’ve missed it but is this microbore? And is the radiator a column style radiator?

the pressure should be the same. When you’re testing this is it with pump running?

Hi, that is worrying :-( yes the pump is running at it's fastest speed. as the pipes are under concrete I can only get to them in the hallway. Maybe I will have to drain the system again and cut the pipes in the hallway to try and clear the blockage unless anyone thinks a power flush could work?

Hi, yes the previous radiator worked but was removed for 3+ months and then the new one installed after I put up a new wall and re-plastered.

Ok,

An update!

I disconnected the radiator again today and removed the isolator on the right hand side pipe and there was no water coming out, even though the pipe this side gets red hot and the left hand side pipe that is stone cold flows perfectly (but then gets hot very quickly when flowing into a bucket)

I connected a pipe from the mains supply to the right hand side pipe and blasted it for about 5 seconds. after the 5th or 6th time a ton of crap came out the pipe and began flowing as well as the left hand side! I filled a couple of buckets and the water became clear so I reconnected everything filled the rad and everything was working normally for about 4 hours and now I am back to square one! At least I know the issue is due to crap in the pipes I am now looking for a way to connect a foot pump to the pipe as I believe this will be more effective!

I did say first off it sounds like a blockage. A foot pump is going to be hard work to say the least. I would consider a powerflush, if done properly with the right chemicals should break down any obstruction, prevent it from reforming and improve overall performance of system. If you could isolate problem leg and blast with compressor this should clear but poses risks to any existing fittings. I’m interested to see what those with more experience suggest?

Another thing is a suction pump with right couplings. I’m aware there are several on market but I will suggest the ultimate suction pump, when on Facebook I’m a member of an oil fired group and the producer of this product is as well, I know his product quite well and when used correctly can suck most crap clear, amongst other functions.

Another thing is a suction pump with right couplings. I’m aware there are several on market but I will suggest the ultimate suction pump, when on Facebook I’m a member of an oil fired group and the producer of this product is as well, I know his product quite well and when used correctly can suck most crap clear, amongst other functions.

I am interested in what you are suggesting but haven't quite decoded what you are trying to say!

I did say first off it sounds like a blockage. A foot pump is going to be hard work to say the least. I would consider a powerflush, if done properly with the right chemicals should break down any obstruction, prevent it from reforming and improve overall performance of system. If you could isolate problem leg and blast with compressor this should clear but poses risks to any existing fittings. I’m interested to see what those with more experience suggest?

Hi,

I will definately be doing a powerflush but not until I am draining down the system to install a new rad in the hallway (no pipework there yet) it would be nice to see if I can clear this pipe before hand though!

Like Riley says a power flush is a minimum one day job. On larger systems I’ve had to split system up and do over two days. Each power flusher will tell you what it’s capable of. A suction pump creates a vacuum and quite literally sucks Rubbish out. I’ve used them to clear oil lines or bleed problematic lines and vent de aerators

Thanks for the replies, I aim to drain down in a couple of months to install the new radiator so that Calchem 3in1 would be perfect, shame no local shops sell the bloody stuff though!

Thanks for the replies, I aim to drain down in a couple of months to install the new radiator so that Calchem 3in1 would be perfect, shame no local shops sell the bloody stuff though!

Are you nowhere near one of these? If not they deliver free for £10 or more spend

Search

Yes, Thanks mate, I am heading down there this afternoon, I was going to drain that radiator, have another go at blasting that pipe again today then putting this stuff in the radiator when reconnecting! fingers crossed!! Thanks for all your help :)

No worries, glad to be of some help

Similar plumbing topics

Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Well done for sorting it. Waggling the trv pin...
Replies
Views
Since it became normal for trv's to be bi...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Turn rad valves off drain rad then open each...
Replies
Views
Pin hole leak on suction side of pump.
Replies
Views
Back