central heating deadlegs | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss central heating deadlegs in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie

Gas Engineer
Hi all,
I'm having a debate with my colleagues, regarding the future removal of a radiator.
We could just cap the tails (under the floorboards), but this would result in deadlegs. What are the implications of this?
I've said air in the system (as unable to bleed those legs) which is obviously not good. This unbled air could also make the pipes noisy. Legionaires isn't an issue in the ch pipes.
But would this air cushion affect the boiler?
Either way, we've decided to link the two tails to complete the circuit.
But we're enjoying the debate.
Jennie

Cut them back as far as possible, bu don't join them. That make a short circuit in your sysem that can't be turned off, if needed to de-airate your system. Could also be a risk to freezing.

as above, don't join them,

the rest of the heating would likely suffer, be immpossible to balance
if the pipes are only a short run from where they are teed of it is unlikely to be an issue.

but also depends on how everything else is set up in relation,
would the system vent without it??
is it the one with room stat??

Haven't regs changed? We had to remove deadlegs from 2 commercial sites recently as it's possible to get legionella (it is now covered by ch water too!) But I would suggest if someone dies from drinking ch water then surely that's just one for the Darwin awards! That's what I've been told but I'm not sure it covers domestic too.

Hi all,
Thanks for all your advice.
Ideally I'd cut the pipes back to where they tee off the main pipes, but that would mean cutting up a beautiful wooden floor on the landing/bedroom.
After reading your comments, I think we'll now cap off the pipes (and not join them). Balancing the rads, and getting rid of air locks in the system are good reasons not to join them. And if I cap the pipes on horizontal pipework, hopefully I can minimise any trapped air pockets.
Thanks again,
Jennie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

C
sounds like the pump is not working have you...
Replies
Views
Np Simon. Hoping to get the boiler engineer...
Replies
Views
Don't think that M.valves will pull in air...
Replies
Views
P
Mr Speaker: I'm tempted to draught a sarcastic...
Replies
Views
Back